96 cummins swap

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
17k new posts since the last time I logged in lol anyways, figured I'd update.

I sold my idi because of a deal on a superduty I couldn't pass up. $500 for a crewcab longbed 4wd 99 powerstroke. I was already planning on swapping a cummins in my 93, so I'm putting it in this superduty instead. The truck came with a lot of work. I put a new interior in it and bought a bed (had utility bed). He sold it cheap because of the junk e4od in it.

My setup is going to be a 96 180hp ppump cummins with an nv4500 and a ford np205. I bought the engine with 140k miles on it and no modifications done to it. Mods to engine now are as follows:
no fuel plate
90hp injectors
62/65/12 high tech turbo
racked barrels
18deg timing
mack plug
afc mods
afe filter/4" downpipe/exhaust
torktech overflow valve
4k rpm gov springs
60lb valve springs
mightydiesel head bolts
killer dowel pin tabbed

pump should be pushing around 450cc

Here's some pics since those are what everyone always wants lol

here she is when i bought her
You must be registered for see images attach

gutted

6" lift / 38.5 swampers / weld mountain crushers / warn lockouts / painted frame and axles

"new" interior. had to buy seats, door panels, carpet, rear window, center console, dash bezel, head unit, and redid the headliner. mtx speakers all around. was going to do amp/subs but I'm working on a budget. Got new towing mirrors too. Old ones were busted up.

pyro 0-2000 and boost 0-60

That's all I have done on the truck itself so far. Now onto the drivetrain.
This is the engine when I got it. I got all my headwork done with midwest engines in Fruitland, MO. Had the head decked, valvesprings installed, and tested for cracks.

Found out I have an International Block/Head! Due to high demand International started casting 6bts in the mid 90s in Indianapolis. They are sought after, having a higher nickel content than standard blocks/heads.

All done up. Ford blue of coarse!

Adaptor from Advanced Adaptors to put a ford np205 on the back of a dodge nv4500. this nv4500 was recently rebuilt and has the 5th gear nut fix.

Valair 13" flywheel/clutch rated for 600hp

Here's the old hx-35 next to the 62mm high tech. I welded the wastegate shut, which I may regret down the road. But this setup should be pushing around 60 psi.

Next week I'll have the shop to myself to get a bunch of work done. Will have many more pics. I'm re-locating both batteries to the drivers side, along with the starter solenoid and external voltage regulator. Starter goes on on the drivers side with an nv4500 so I wanna keep all my wiring on one side and keep it clean.

Any questions/ideas just ask/tell!

Last edited:

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score

for comparison next to a 4wd 3500. needs 1" in the front and dropped 2" in the rear.

Its all together minus the wiring, piping, driveshafts, pedals, transfercase shifter, and electric fuel pump. So I still have most of it to go lol progress though. Still have to replace rotors, driver's side ball joints, and rear end before its road worthy too. And ladder bars at some point.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I used fordcummins mounts but redrilled the holes to set the engine an extra inch further back. There's about an inch and a half between my radiator and fan. Shroud fit without modification and the tranny bolted in using the stock frame holes.

And thanks! Cant wait to get it going down the road

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first Cummins conversion I've seen in one of the SD Fords. You're doing a good job. ;Sweet

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
haha thanks man. it's such a slow project! but it's gettin close now.

little update. more done than it looks, but I'm not sure what to take pictures of lol engine runs great, intercooler pipes are done, downpipe is made up, fuel pump installed. Had a makeshift driveshaft in it to move it around, getting it correctly assembled/balanced this week. Just need a rear bumper, windshield, exhaust, and an alignment and it'll be going down the road at least. Painting the bed will be next on the list after that.

went with 1350 yokes

i like how much the front clip looks like my last truck!

truck needs detailed when I get it on the road lol lots of small scratches.

Last edited: