95 dana 60 tie rod hole size?

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so my easy fix on my tie rod slop from around 2 months ago is failing, after only about 1400 miles. So im going to repair it proper.
(hole was egged out, from a lose tie rod, causing slop, thread around here somewhere, tried to fix with quicksteel, worked well... SHORT
TERM)

OK so here is the thing. i was looking for tie rods, and im finding the *new* tie rods are .72 and .70 depending on front axle GVWR

Mine is like .83 after a trued the hole with a 1 1/2ft-min 7* taper.

Now, this is ASSUMING that the "large diameter taper" is the bottom of the hole (the big end)
also ASSUMING "small diameter taper" is the top of the hole for the tie rod.

The .83 is the Large side of the hole, top is supposed to be .62 as per http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=MRCDS1071_0244964276 (mine is .71

Anyone tell me if my terminology is correct? If it is, i know what to tell my machine shop to make a sleeve for it.
I may have to ream a bit more so its not TOO small of a sleeve, i think a .21 by .9 sleeve would be hard to make...
And even harder to install as it would be flimsy as can be. l will most likely have to ream so it will be more like .3-.1

But if im an idiot, and taking these measurements wrong, or my terms are wrong i need to know before i call up and say
Make me this as close as you can and ill make it fit (as long as the sleeve is 7* taper i can make it work)

Thanks ahead of time for clarification, hell, if im wrong, but anyone has a spindle knuckle laying around with a balljoint out
and a (forgot the name of the tool? micrometer? measures really small things, have 3 of them and cant name them... does that
make me less of a man?) that can do a quick measurement of a *good* one i would appreciate that as well. I was going to just
pop the other side and measure.... but that tierod boot looks like hell and i dont want to replace it, so as long as i dont touch it,
i wont have to replace it until next year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US