94 turbo Idi auto trans

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok so were lookin at buyin a pretty nice factory turbo 94 Idi with an auto that needs to be rebuilt they want 3500 which im gonna try and talk im down but it's a really nice truck.anyway what would it cost to rebuild the trans in it
Also any good trans builders in northern arkansas

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why yes there is. The name is BTS (Brians Truck Shop) in Leadhill Arkansas. Brian has one warranty... Any hp.... Any torque.. No questions asked. I have an E4OD from Brian in my rig and its great. The stock torque converters have 25 square feet of friction material and they work very well. Brian installs a triple disc converter with 150 square foot of friction materials..... You wont wear that one out. He adds more friction material to several clutch packs plus the sun gear is no longer an aluminum body. Call them and ask about what they do. Its impressive. I added a Gear Vendors to mine plus a Mag Hitech pan that has 2 gallons of extra capacity. What ever trans rebuilder you use just make sure they have a good rep and install the largest aux cooler you can fit. I like the 40,000 lbs cooler size. Some like the 6.0 psd cooler too.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are in Arkansas and so is BTS, I would take Gary's advice and go to BTS. Doesn't hardly get any more convenient than that, even if you have to drive across the state, at least you don't have to pay shipping!

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added a Gear Vendors to mine.

An OD on a e4od? Do you mind posting the details or maybe starting a new thread since I think I'm about to highjack.

I didn't know that was possible. was it the same one for c6? or divorced or what?
How's it working out for you? what's your mpg and highway speed/rpm. and finally what's the tire/axle gear?

I might be interested if the mpg benefit enough. Fuel is "cheap" now but it isn't always.

Thanks

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Why yes there is. The name is BTS (Brians Truck Shop) in Leadhill Arkansas. Brian has one warranty... Any hp.... Any torque.. No questions asked. I have an E4OD from Brian in my rig and its great. The stock torque converters have 25 square feet of friction material and they work very well. Brian installs a triple disc converter with 150 square foot of friction materials..... You wont wear that one out. He adds more friction material to several clutch packs plus the sun gear is no longer an aluminum body. Call them and ask about what they do. Its impressive. I added a Gear Vendors to mine plus a Mag Hitech pan that has 2 gallons of extra capacity. What ever trans rebuilder you use just make sure they have a good rep and install the largest aux cooler you can fit. I like the 40,000 lbs cooler size. Some like the 6.0 psd cooler too.

I guess it's a good thing my boss is taken a truck to Brian's some time here soon lol.im still not even sure if I'm gonna get it but I want it and I was Thinkin bts but I didn't know if there were possibly any closer to me.thank yall

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An OD on a e4od? Do you mind posting the details or maybe starting a new thread since I think I'm about to highjack.

I didn't know that was possible. was it the same one for c6? or divorced or what?
How's it working out for you? what's your mpg and highway speed/rpm. and finally what's the tire/axle gear?

I might be interested if the mpg benefit enough. Fuel is "cheap" now but it isn't always.

Thanks

Yes a GV bolts up to the back of the E4OD trans. You get a replacement adapter so your rear housing on the trans is replaced. Just a note if you install the GV yourself please drain some atf before you remove that rear housing. It has lots of atf in it.. What a driveway mess I made finding this out.
My rear gears are 3:55 so when I'm in double overdrive my final gear ratio is 1.96. My engine is built well enough to handle that gearing on the freeways. I drove home from the 2009 rally in Kentucky to the west coast where I live getting 18.9 mpg average doing 75 to 85 mph all the way home. Here is my dash pics showing the mph and rpm.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is anyway possible to get to a guy who knows these trucks It's worth making the trip.
I was pulling a trailer from NJ to GA and the trans was acting up the whole way, slipping, loss of power, seemed hot ( I didn't have a gauge so I didnt know for sure). It was always fine in the past. I did I could, which wasnt much. checked fluids, tried driving w/o the od etc. I stopped at two trans shops on the way. they both said my trans was shot and wanted to sell a new one to me.
I had the wife and kid following in her car and we needed to get to the new house so I figured if it was shot anyway I might as well take my chances instead of spend a few days in a motel waiting for the replacement. So I babied it to ga and made it. I dropped the trailer and all the problems went away like magic. I did some reading here and traced the problem to a corroded trailer plug. It tricked the trans into thinking I was on the brakes so the convertor wouldn't lock up.
Two "experts" wanted to replace a perfectly good trans because of a 8$ plug.
On another note, before I was active here I installed a cheap ebay ip. it lasted a couple months. I learned my lesson. I come here and follow the advice. A couple hours of driving is well worth it. Buy that truck, drop the trans yourself and stick in the back of your boss's truck then you get it there for free.

Also make sure it REALLY needs a rebuild. it might just be a dirty trans wiring plug or throttle sensor.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
If there is anyway possible to get to a guy who knows these trucks It's worth making the trip.
I was pulling a trailer from NJ to GA and the trans was acting up the whole way, slipping, loss of power, seemed hot ( I didn't have a gauge so I didnt know for sure). It was always fine in the past. I did I could, which wasnt much. checked fluids, tried driving w/o the od etc. I stopped at two trans shops on the way. they both said my trans was shot and wanted to sell a new one to me.
I had the wife and kid following in her car and we needed to get to the new house so I figured if it was shot anyway I might as well take my chances instead of spend a few days in a motel waiting for the replacement. So I babied it to ga and made it. I dropped the trailer and all the problems went away like magic. I did some reading here and traced the problem to a corroded trailer plug. It tricked the trans into thinking I was on the brakes so the convertor wouldn't lock up.
Two "experts" wanted to replace a perfectly good trans because of a 8$ plug.
On another note, before I was active here I installed a cheap ebay ip. it lasted a couple months. I learned my lesson. I come here and follow the advice. A couple hours of driving is well worth it. Buy that truck, drop the trans yourself and stick in the back of your boss's truck then you get it there for free.

Also make sure it REALLY needs a rebuild. it might just be a dirty trans wiring plug or throttle sensor.

I talked to the guy yesterday and he said it might pull itself onto a trailer which if it don't that's fine cause I gotta 12k pound winch on the gooseneck.he said it came with a core trans and transfer so if there the same I could just send that one then swap um

Dave Sponaugle

Reaction score
Cheap is rarely inexpensive.

A while back I saw pictures of Brian's sons Stroke motor after it blew with one of his transmission behind it.
Transmission was fine.
The motor, well you could see the crank and pistons from one cylinder bank were laying on the side of the oil pan.
Where that cylinder bank went I don't know, but the block was in about three pieces.
It was supposed to have had north of 900 HP before it grenaded.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure the tach is working. I had my tach die and the truck would barely move. It defaults to 3rd gear. I could manually shift through the gears to get it moving but I wouldn't drive it far like that. I was only a few blocks from home so I drove back and fixed it. There are a few stupid things that can really screw with computer and make it look like a bad trans.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave,long time no see.hope life is treating ya good.

a BTS trans is a bit overkill for an idi though guys.they'll run ya north of 5 grand.for 2-3k you can get a very nice updated (to '95 spec and or beyond) trans that will most likely outlive the trucks.
i payed a bit over 3k for the one in chip truck.local rebuilder with a great rep.knows about all the important upgrades and what wouldn't be worth the $ for normal street/towing use.

then i found a ford reman for under $200 locally for a spare!:) claimed the truck drove to his house just fine with it in there. for core price it was worth a shot.ford remans are like 2 grand and they have decent warranties.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
My boss actually has a bts tranny in his powerstroke.its either buy this 94 or buy one of my bosses powerstokes.he has a late 99 he wants to sell us for just alittle bit more then what they want for that 94 so idk yet lol.i want the 94 but hell after puttin a trans in it I could put a tuner an stuff on the pstroke for the same price basicly