94 IDI WATER/**** MUST READ

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of guys asking about water/**** so i will try to help out. By far the best thing i have done to help with performance and cooling egts wile pulling. Just as long as you dont become a **** junkieeee and use it with common sence you will be impressed.

Here is what i found that works best on my truck 94 idi factory ats turbo wastegate closed 13psi stright 4 inch exhust ip turned up customair air intake and a snow performance water/**** kit the one for low boost.

Ben from diesel injection here in maryland told me the best place to mount the injector is in the turbo it self about 1 inch behind the intake hat on top dont worry its ok. Helps to atomise the the water/**** into the air steam.
I started with the 375 nozzle and stright 70/30 ww fliud i noticed a fair gain and faster boost. well cant stop there so i put the 675 nozzle in and big difference no pinging in the motor boost went from 5 to 13 in a sec i set the box to inject a 5lbs . than i added 4 bottles of heet gas-line antifreeze & water remover its 100% **** in 4gallons of ww fluid . I took a drive and still had the 675nozzle in the power was a diff gain over ww fliud put i started getting alittle knock due to the higher **** level. I went back to the 375 and the knok is gone and the power is still very good. the 675 nozzle can be ran if you stay at a 70/30 mix or lower you will get lower egts with the 675 . We all know these trucks have high compression every truck will respond different just tweek you mix to you find a stable point. do not do a two nozzle stage 2 kit on these trucks the idi's do not like that much water u will diff quench the motor.. And trust me water when done right will never in no way hurt a diesel motor i have been in the tractor pull comps for so long and we spray gallons of water thru these thing. I thing we can close the book on the sience behind water injection now. It work its safe good for the motor when done right (done right) now we should be figuring out proper systems and the right flow rates for these trucks you dont need to spend big money on intercoolers less you are chasing big hp numbers. in that case easer to buy a old powermax. Just my 2 cents hope this is usefull to someone. anyone running a system comment back on your results.. thanks jeff
this helps.

AND REMEMBER PAINT NOTHING POWDERCOAT EVERYTHING

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some pics would be helpfull. Particularly how you went about mounting your nozzle and pump. We can't "close the book" because there are not enough guys doing it. We know it works. You know it works. When it's still working for you 50,000 miles from now, we will know more. We have had others try to pioneer known parameters and not all have suceeded. One famous person cracked all their pistons and exited the hobby. Don't expect one post to change history. There will be a lot more questions your going to need to answer... what's the PSI on your pump? Are you using any electric solenoids? Check valves? What kind of hose? How long? Yes, I know tractor pulling and I know those guys will spit it right onto the impeller shaft. They want their motor to last 300 feet. It's a whole different ball of wax. Your input is helpfull and your post appreciated. Keep it coming.

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never hope to change minds people need to research what people tell them dont just listen to the masses umm goverment anyone lol. i will post some picks when i get back from camping beer fest this weekend and dover race next week ol simmons needs a vac. What i mean about the sience is we have been injecting water in diesel for as lond as diesel's been out. I have done a lot of research on this and fluid dynamics. If you are cracking pistons to much cold water is reaching the piston instead of a vapor thats what absorbs heat solid water will to but a little to fast for our application. Little common sence goes a long way. Just like people who throu hot water on a cold windshild ummm but if i use cold water it will melt the ice without the crack. The same thing is going to happen in reverse in a motor. Only trying to shed light on the subject i am a newbie here and i have read back thru a lot of threads and where i see most people have gone wrong is the amount of h20 going in at to high of rate. basic physics idi= high compression+to much water= either hydro lock or crack piston and u have a huge paper weight. If anyone is injection water in these motors don't inject till at least 5lbs of boost you want a good flow of air to help atomize the water as best as poss. Most controllers will have a boost start and max boost. I would say start at 5 or higher and set your max at 15 that way the progressive controller will have a long band not full spray at once than start with your mix find what your motor likes and leave it alone. please dont go about this like your going to feel like you just put a 100 shot of nos on your mustang. all i can say if your scared say your scared lol.....

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy who killed his motor was anything but scared. Nor is the rest of the gang here. We do suffer from the mentality of "if a little can do this good, what can we do with alot more":D:eek:
We have learned that a jet size of a firehose nozzle is a really bad idea.:eek:
Personally, I like intercooling more. It's a passive performance adder. I do have the itch for more fuel though, and that will be taken care by a Moose pump later on this year. But s of right now, I am pulling at 800deg topped out, so the need for **** is not necessary. who knows what will happen when the truck gets a moose shoved down its throat.;Sweet

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never hope to change minds people need to research what people tell them dont just listen to the masses umm goverment anyone lol. i will post some picks when i get back from camping beer fest this weekend and dover race next week ol simmons need a vac. What i mean about the sience is we have been injecting water in diesel for as lond as diesel's been out. I have done a lot of research on this and fluid dynamics. If you are cracking pistons to much cold water is reaching the piston instead of a vapor thats what absorbs heat solid water will to but a little to fast for our application. Little common sence goes a long way. Just like people who throu hot water on a cold windshild ummm but if i use cold water it will melt the ice without the crack. The same thing is going to happen in reverse in a motor. Only trying to shed light on the subject i am a newbie here and i have read back thru a lot of threads and where i see most people have gone wrong is the amount of h20 going in at to high of rate. basic physics idi= high compression+to much water= either hydro lock or crack piston and u have a huge paper weight. If anyone is injection water in these motors don't inject till at least 5lbs of boost you want a good flow of air to help atomize the water as best as poss. Most controllers will have a boost start and max boost. I would say start at 5 or higher and set your max at 15 that way the progressive controller will have a long band not full spray at once than start with your mix find what your motor likes and leave it alone. please dont go about this like your going to feel like you just put a 100 shot of nos on your mustang. all i can say if your scared say your scared lol.....

i dont want to upset you or anything like that, but it can be a little difficult to follow your train of thought because of your grammar. i could give you some tips to help with that, but this is not the place for schooling of that kind.

the kind of schooling i (and likely others here) am interested in is how you have put together your setup. pictures are king here and would be greatly appreciated. if you have time, a small write up detailing your components used and why that particular item was selected or what its major function is in the setup would be the perfect accompaniment to a nice set of pictures.

thanks

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pulling egt's in the 1050 1100 range with a 15000 lbs fith wheel behind me trying to get throu wv is a b!%$ after a A little **** im getting 850 to 900 on the same hills. I agree with you on the fuel more the better long as you can burn it (use it) i hate seeing half go out the pipe. what we need is air but dont sleep on the idi motor i have seen a lot of strokes get busted by these old dogs at budds creek raceway. I love these old trucks never leting mine go. she is going to be like one of thous woman you dont have to spend much on to have a good time little pocket change and your rolling.

Last edited:

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the grammar im typing from a i phone bare with me. plus i will say this, i have way more hours loged under the hood than in a english class lol never had a problem admitting that one.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the grammar im typing from a i phone bare with me. plus i will say this, i have way more hours loged under the hood than in a english class lol never had a problem admitting that one.

taking into account that you are using an iphone, you are doing pretty well. i didnt want it to come off as me busting your chopps about the grammar thing. its just that i had to read every sentence (from "." to ".") a few times over to figure out where you meant to put a "," so that i could fully understand what you were saying. but its all good, no need to strain yourself messing with that little keyboard just to appease me.

any thoughts on weather or not you might put some pics?

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me pick away i would do the same lol.. I will diff post some picks as soon as i get back. Its a Very simple set up its just a snow performance kit. All the kits are pretty much the same. if you look at the companies selling these kits they are all pretty much the same just a diff name on the tank. I will show the pics where i put the nozzle the rest of the kit you can mount in anyway you like long as it looks good.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 on using a mobile device! Never hurts to mention that. It drastically changes the perception of the conversation.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
One famous person cracked all their pistons and exited the hobby.

Famous... I'm famous... me....

Nah I'm just a crazy hick that lives and dies by the rule as towkitten says

says mentality of "if a little can do this good, what can we do with alot more"

oh and I didn't exit the hobby I just got a different toy to play with....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the snow performance deal from ATS? The other thing we sufer from here is being cheap and the off the shelf kits are anything but that. I also think A lot of us would be scared about water hitting the turbo impeller. Anything hitting it as fast as it's spinning could damage it irreparably could it not? I agree with you though methanol/water injection can work great if you are very very careful and as long as the water is a vapor when it hits the pistons and not cold.

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right you never want the water to hit the blades of the turbo. It will destroy it in a very short time. I put my nozzle right at the end of the turbo right before it enters the intake hat. Remember if you set to inject at 5 psi the water will be pushed into the intake not back in the turbo. Remember these motor do not make vacume if the turbo is working right. Not even at idol.

I got my kit at snow performance right off ther web site kit was almost 600$ total with shipping.
Remember the nozzle should go directly on top of the turbo round housing 1 inch Back from where it slips into the intake hat. Trust me it works way better there than in the intake. If you install in the intake it works but the farther back you inject the better chance you will atomize the water.

The newer trucks have a little advantage due to the intakes are longer.

Long as you get it in the violent turbo air it should all be atomized as long as you don't have a garden hose hooked to it lol

Last edited: