94 7.3 turbo IDI

Danny Cardarelli

Reaction score
hi new to this forum. Need experienced input on a recent purchase. I just bought a 1994 F250 Turbo 7.3 IDI pick up with 110.000. Bought it for 1700.00 and am now into it for about 10 grand...im doing a frame up restore. What i need to know is if this is a good engine..the engine runs and sounds excellant. If anyone has knowledge on this engine..i just want a better understanding of its common failures and what to expect....this turbo version was only made for one year b4 the PSD came out..my personal belief is that the OBS is the sexiest truck Ford has ever produced and man this iS a TRUCK. MAKE NO MISTAKE..Its heavy duty and rides like it too...
Thanks,
Guy from BOSTON

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3, particularly the IDI, is a phenomenal motor. Many believe it to be the best diesel motor ever built (many on the forum!). Just watch for cavitation, a few other small things, take care of her maintenance, and she will live a long happy life.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, it was 2 years - the IDI turbo block was in '93 and '94 model years(I have a '93 which had a factory turbo motor).

Generally speaking, everything that applies to the 7.3 IDI (non-factory-turbo) applies to the factory-turbo block, except for the few parts that were modified for the "turbo" version(slightly different oil cooler core, pistons, rings, exhaust valve material, connecting rods, flywheel & harmonic balancer mainly).

Otherwise, parts can be mixed and matched with ease - My "factory turbo" truck is a factory turbo truck... except for the block which was swapped from an older truck.
It still has no problems pushing 250 RWHP(over 300 at the crank), even *without* head studs.

My advice to you is, while you have everything apart, pull the oil pan off the engine. You should be able to look over the connecting rod bearings, main bearings etc. If everything is good... you are fine. Otherwise, that's something that would be worth looking into

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am jealous of your mileage, I am sitting here at 375,000 and it still purrs right along.

Edit...I am sitting at almost 391k miles, old age is horrible.

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am jealous of your mileage, I am sitting here at 375,000 and it still purrs right along.
^^ Still not sure on my mileage: My 88's all have 5-digit odometers with no clue on how many times they rolled over; my 92 has 310K* miles, but has an obvious reman in it, and my '93 has 304K* /KM/(canadian truck), but has rolled over /at least/ once; I was told that the motor was replaced 60K ago, but the motor had way too many oil stains to have been replaced with a *rebuilt* motor 60K ago...

(Note: on my 93, I watched it roll over from 399999.9 to 300000.0 with no "overflow" mark... so no way to know how many times it's rolled over before).

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same concern about whether it has rolled over from 399999 to 300000. The two previous owners put a lot of highway miles on the truck, which we tend to do in Texas, lots of miles between places.

Danny Cardarelli

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the input...funny you should mention the oilpan..im awaiting UPS.on a new one..i also checked the radiatior support, which is fine. However, the radiator itself is being dropped off tomorrow for recore service. I contacted MOOG and got the complete pkg.for replacing the complete front end......already replaced rotors, drums, pads, lines , mas-cylinder , bearings, starter, alterator, glow plugs, module, wiring harness, injectors, thermostat, radiator cap, ignition itself. As you can see, very busy.... Most things like fuel pump didnt need help but replaced em any way..as i say, every little bit of info helps so please keep it coming
Pictures to follow

Danny

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Danny! I,m about 30 miles west of Boston. I'm running 2 of these engines in DD trucks for work and play. Easy to work on and dependable are two of their strong
characteristics. While you are on the engine try to upgrade the turbo outlet to a 3" pipe and absolutely time the engine, details available on this site.
Lorin

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Caution on the re-core.Just make sure it has the same amount of tubes and the same fin count on those tubes. many change the radiator and end up with whats called a 3 row dimple core with 12 fins per inch. It just can't cool our idi engines. Many are running the newer all aluminum radiators now. They cool so much better. Rodney Red makes the finest aluminum radiator. Its 15 or 16 fins per inch and a 2 row but. those tubes are 1 1/4 wide. If anything you will have some issues getting the engine warm enough. Mine is a fantastic modification to my rig. I used to tow heavy and fast. Never once a cooling issue. I even had a 5 row custom radiator made by Harry and sons in Temple city Ca. If you ever watched American Pickers, they did a show on that business. My Dad and I have used them since the early 1960s. Sadly Bob died a few years ago and the business owned by the same family for 70 years closed up. Time marches on. Just know what your installing when it comes to radiator replacement. Not all new radiators are "just like the originals". Remember someone is selling you "what they have in stock too"....

coffeerich44

Reaction score
One of the most important things with that engine in your antifreeze. It's very important to keep it changed at the regular intervals and put the SCA additive in if you are using the standard green antifreeze to prevent cavitation of your engine. I installed an antifreeze filter years ago with the additive in it that releases it when used over time from Napa. Now though I think they make a different type of antifreeze called Heavy Duty ELC coolant which is supposed to do the same thing with the additive in it.