89 zf install

69crewcab

Reaction score
Group
just picked up an 89 zf 5spd for my 78 f-250 4x4 6.9 swap
Only thing i didnt get with the tranny was the inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing and the adapter plate between the tranny and block. Is the adapter all the same?? I have one from the original 4spd still on the block. And anywhere i can find the inspection cover?

Also whats with the 2 piece flywheel??

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
In my experience with the ZF, the plate between the block and the inspection cover are one piece.

As for the flywheel, you have the dual mass flywheel. It has springs inside to help reduce noise from the transmission, but it also one more part to fail. You can replace it with a single mass flywheel but expect to hear a little more noise from the transmission. It doesn't cause any damage, just makes a little racket. You can also do a search for the lucky mod, which essentially makes your DMF a SMF.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Group
just picked up an 89 zf 5spd for my 78 f-250 4x4 6.9 swap
Only thing i didnt get with the tranny was the inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing and the adapter plate between the tranny and block. Is the adapter all the same?? I have one from the original 4spd still on the block. And anywhere i can find the inspection cover?
The adapter plate that goes on to the engine block is the same for the ZF as for the T-19 (and, for that matter, I think the automatics use the same plate). In fact, I don't recall ever hearing of ANYONE removing the adapter plate from the engine before. When I did my ZF swap, I used the inspection cover from my T-19; bolted right in place and has never given me any trouble.

As to the flywheel, Sycostang67 hit the nail on the head. You might want to take a look at this thread for some more info. I installed a LuK SMF kit with flywheel on my truck when I did the tranny swap, and it's been working flawlessly for over 30K miles now.

Hope that helps some...good luck!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the adapter plates are all the same, stick or auto, 6.9 or 7.3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer