85 F250 6.9 NA Issues

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ok so switch is in right? yes getting fuel pressure correct right?? not sure on my end I think you said it was off of a tire gauge? But now did you buy new injectors? I think you bought rebuilts right but columbus diesel supply is a good place alot of there trucks in columbus ohio are 7.3 and new international stuff plus cummins etc. so fuel filter changed and when you hooked up your switch did you put the cold advance wire back on?? that could help some.but mainly it sounds like injectors are bad or your lift pump highly dougbtful but yeah no fuel gauge to check.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have Berus. How is it a 6 volt system if there is 12 volts going to the glow plugs? 5 seconds was not enough to get it to fire up. When i had the GPs out and jumped them from the batt it took 8 seconds to get orange hot.

The glow plugs are indeed a 6 volt rated plug. Ford/IH did this to allow for a quick heat/ short wait to start period. So, they used these plugs. Mel has stated at the initial few moments of the cycle, the voltage is in the 7-8v at the plug connector, and as it approaches the end of the cycle, as the plugs get hot, and the resistance lowers, when they are cold they are almost a dead short, the voltage approaches 12 volts. This is when the controller cuts power to the plugs, and starts the afterglow cycle.

If it had a 12 volt plug in the in them, from what I have read, it may have taken 30 or 40 seconds for the plugs to heat up enough to start. Since Ford was trying to lure people from a gas engine, that you get in and just hit the key, to one that you have to sit there and wait for almost a minute for you to start it, they know that people would not tolerate the delay, that is why they used the 6 volt plugs......

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i assume they are 6V plugs since i ordered them for the truck.

I dont have a gauge to check fuel pressure but it squirts a good stream from the shrader. New lift pump. The injectors i bought were supposedly new. It did not change engine performance when i replaced them. The cold advance is still off. I will hook it back up and try it. Going to try some 5w40 also to get it cranking faster in the cold (~20F)

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i looked it up ion my tech book for the 6.9 and 7.3 all of the plugs are 6 volt sorry for taht but well how are your batteries are they like 1000 cca?

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on my batt. rating. Switched the oil over to Rotella Syn blend 10w30. Seems to crank better. Starts up very quick on a small shot of ether. Still blows a tons of white/blue smoke....

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well now before we go on if your truck has alot of miles on the engine to me personally its just going to eat that 10 30 maybe 2 quarts more then 15 40 but thats good it starts easier. but you still have some air intrusion did you redo all of your return lines I mean even if the fuel filter isnt tight enough will blow out white smoke.

but as for the blue now blue means to much fuel so maybe injector bad or something I am stumped.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well now before we go on if your truck has alot of miles on the engine to me personally its just going to eat that 10 30 maybe 2 quarts more then 15 40 but thats good it starts easier. but you still have some air intrusion did you redo all of your return lines I mean even if the fuel filter isnt tight enough will blow out white smoke.

but as for the blue now blue means to much fuel so maybe injector bad or something I am stumped.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i have replaced my return lines. I think next step may be an electric lift pump.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've been taught:
White smoke is "cold" raw unburned fuel
Black smoke is incompletely burned fuel
Blue smoke comes from burning oil.
Just my own $.02 on the matter.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey rusty how the hell have you been have you put a djd diesel in ur pickup yet and ok so whit and blue so that would be ip and his injectors

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey rusty how the hell have you been have you put a djd diesel in ur pickup yet and ok so whit and blue so that would be ip and his injectors

Well, I don't want to hijack this thread, but the JD into a Ford project remains at a standstill until I'm out of college and have some steady income. Still, it contimuously chases a rabbit through my brain. I updated that thread a while ago.