85 F250 6.9 NA Issues

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to crank it the engine doesnt even try to fire. The lift pump was new at oreillys, The IP i bought from a guy in town. Might just swap in the original

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude o riellys is a cheap parts reman I am sorry bought a water pump for cheap overheated my truck and got another one and happened again got it from napa and ran out for 175 thousand miles

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a tire pressure guage ? I mean that will ball park fuel pressure and if it wont start with the starter and only pull start try and put the old pump back on see what happens but it could just be filled with air have yyou just drove it arond for awhile and when it started was it white smoke pouring out or what?

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stick style gauge.

I drove the truck until it reached operating temperature. When it started yes it was puking white smoke then it turned to black and eventually tapered off.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you changed ur fuel filter ? and if so check to see if it is really tight and plus i think you said you bled the lines at the injector make sure those are tight as hell. mine did the whole white smoke and i just changed my fuel filter and a quarter turn off from bein too tight and i should have turned the filter alil harder.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check the fuel pressure, see what the gauge is reading, and then compare it against the specs. If your fuel pressure is good, then the logical problem seems like it'd be the IP. I think swapping for the one in your other truck would rule it out since you know that's a good IP. I'd also be all over the air in the fuel line possibility, either caused by a bad tank pickup, fuel filter issue, or loose lines somewhere. Since it ran when you pull started it, it seems like this has a good chance of being the issue too.

Starting from easiest to hardest would be fuel pressure check, tighten and check all lines thoroughly, and finally change out the IP.

Since you're getting air and compression, it seems logical that fuel has to be your weak point.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a comp test and she was still good, so i swapped on the IP from the turbo truck. Ran awesome. Thanks guys i appreciate all the input

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for these to rattle quite a bit when cold? Its getting down into the 10's and 20's here, and she will rattle for a good while until warm. The IP is retarded past the marks, and advanced jsut far enough so it doesn't blip and blow white smoke.

Also, pulling the turbo off the other truck, how does that downpipe come out of the hotside of the turbo? Its unbolted, Barely budges....

Black dawg

Reaction score
on mine the down pipe clamps to that cast piece that fits into the turbine housing. If you can get it of and back on leaving the cast piece connected to the turbine housing do so.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does not have a clamp,just seems press fitted in

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so i think i have a few of the bugs worked out of this truck. It will rev out nicely with no black smoke, after turning the fuel screw out 4 flats(It was a turbo pump). BUT. On startup, it will crank for about 15-20 seconds before running. It intermittently sputters during cranking and blows white/blue smoke. Runs rough for a couple seconds but smooths out with some throttle. Usually clouds out the parking lot with white/blue smoke. Also has a pretty good rattle until it is fully warmed, at which point it quiets down but is still there. Ive tried advancing the pump but it rattles so loud now that i don't want to go any further. I have disconnected the cold advance because of this(doesn't seem to make a difference in start up)

I am thinking air in the lines. Is it possible for me to just run a new fuel hose from the lift pump all the way to the fuel tank? The truck is from MN so the metal line could be rusting through. My inline fuel filter has a constant bubble in the top of it. Should it always be full? Hopefully i can get this thing solved.