85 F250 6.9 NA Issues

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your help and i understand that its hard to diagnose it over the internet.

It really stumps me also. Fuel at the schrader flows very well.

Does smoke coming out of the intake mean anything??? It was doing that when i poured fuel down the intake...

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Smoke

explosive/flammable material + hot intake manifold/engine valve = smoke.

Do not spray anything else down your intake. The last thing anyone on here wants to hear about is how that last spray of fluid did "whatever" to your poor poor engine. If you can read your injectors (the information is printed around the injector base and some injectors have codes on the actual wrench hex, mine have the "e" after "stanadyne" below the hex flats), which ones are they? E code, F code, or BB code? Can you post what your fuel pressure is? IDI injectors require fuel pressure to push open the injector nozzles to allow fuel spray. That water separator filter, how many microns is it? My Onan crossover filter is a 2 micron.

The very last thing I can possibly think of is the fuel shut off mechanism on the IP. Perhaps something is going crazy with it? sticking, failing... something.... Maybe the wire is damaged somewhere? Diesel's work from compression (6.9L IDI is 20.7:1 compression) and the fuel has to be stopped to shut off engine. Hence, the reason for a shut off switch on the IP.

Everything I am saying is only speculation at best. I am trying to help, yet, I am doing so half blind and without having the patient right in front of my nose. I truly Hope I am helping...:dunno

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are new Delphi BB codes.

Ill have to figure out some way to get a fuel pressure gauge. Dont know about the filter microns. If the fuel shutoff was off, wouldnt there be an absence of fuel at the injectors?

I'm going to just try to push start it when the snow melts.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably 2000 miles on it. Ive tried with and without it.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say to give pull starting a try, especially since you have the other truck now. If you've got air in the lines, pull starting in 2nd gear is a surefire way to get it going.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i only have 1 set of batteries. Will the truck run without them?

If it doesnt start with a pull ill try the other truck IP

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Ponderances...

OK, I know you have done most of what I am going to ask about, however, please bare with me as I am asking to help my brain troubleshoot.

Can you please tell me the following :

1) amount of fuel in tanks
2) color of air filter (dirt wise)
3) do you see ANY leaks, damage, ANYTHING of fuel lines/system from tank to IP
4)do you have dual tanks. If yes, and if electrical, Does the selector switch activate the fuel selector valve steadily and solidly
5)last time all fuel filters changed
6) we know the injectors are new BB codes, so skip that part
7)can you find ANY restriction of air flow going into engine
8)age of lift pump
9) does your fuel tank(s) have a fuel sock in them. In vehicles with a fuel sock, sometimes the sock can be sucked up into the fuel tubes inside tank and cause restriction
10)how strong does engine crank
11)where do you purchase your diesel
12)has the problem ONLY happened since colder weather has started

Sorry for all the questions. I need a basis of understanding to knock my head around until I figure out how to get you fixed. ;Sweet

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I know you have done most of what I am going to ask about, however, please bare with me as I am asking to help my brain troubleshoot.

Can you please tell me the following :

1) amount of fuel in tanks I should have at least a 1/4 tank in my front tank, i don't use the rear. Cant know for sure because the gauge doesn't work. ~150 miles on full tank
2) color of air filter (dirt wise) Fairly clean, probably could stand to be replaced.
3) do you see ANY leaks, damage, ANYTHING of fuel lines/system from tank to IP Haven't looked much underneath, But it does pump the fuel pretty steadily, and considering it started up easily and ran before the IP change, i assume its alright
4)do you have dual tanks. If yes, and if electrical, Does the selector switch activate the fuel selector valve steadily and solidly Only use front tank, rear one is leaky
5)last time all fuel filters changed Main screw on fuel filter was replaced MAYBE 500 miles ago
6) we know the injectors are new BB codes, so skip that part
7)can you find ANY restriction of air flow going into engine Tried with and without air cleaner setup
8)age of lift pump Just replaced, airtex
9) does your fuel tank(s) have a fuel sock in them. In vehicles with a fuel sock, sometimes the sock can be sucked up into the fuel tubes inside tank and cause restriction Dont know about that one
10)how strong does engine crank Cranking good, batteries just charged form other truck. slows a bit when GP's kick on
11)where do you purchase your diesel "safeway" its a fairly new and clean station if that matters
12)has the problem ONLY happened since colder weather has started

Will not start ever since i replaced the IP. But it did run at first, and it did run good until i shut it off.

Sorry for all the questions. I need a basis of understanding to knock my head around until I figure out how to get you fixed. ;Sweet

No problem

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a possibility that the fuel down the intake screwed something up bad enough that it wont fire? Every revolution there is a slight "bump" in the engine, dont really know how to describe it but it wasnt there before the Ip change...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pouring a liquid down that intake was an exceptionally BAD idea. Yes, if you bent a rod, the effected cylinders will no longer generate sufficient heat from compression to ignite the fuel. You will need to do a compression check to verify just how bad it is.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there only ONE way to align the pump? As in installing it onto the drive gear? Or can it be 180* off? Does one revolution of the pump fire all 8 injectors? All i did was align the dowel pin with the groove and bolt the pump on.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well pulling it behind another truck got it running. Knocked like hell with the marks lined up so i retarded it some. Ran ok, pretty gutless. But it did rev out. Problem is when i shut it off, it cannot be started again without towing it. Bad pump???

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would either be a bad pump or air in the lines. Or maybe the pump is putting air in the lines. I think your best bet is to start at each part that it could be, check it thoroughly, and move down the list.

When you try and restart it, does it sound like it's getting fuel or is just cranking over with no sound of catching?

If fuel at the schrader is blasting out, it would appear that your IP is the problem and not the lift pump. Plus, since you said you bought the lift pump from a reputable guy and believe it to be working, that also points the finger at the IP. Before swapping the IP though, I'd do a thorough check of your fuel and injector lines to make sure that nothing is leaking and causing air to get into the system.