85 F250 6.9 NA Issues

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well honestly three things Glow Plugs not working have you by passed the glow plug relay ? 2. injectors are toast or 3 air in the lines which look at your return line and on your injectors mainly plus around the pump If nothing else I am at a fork in the road.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GPs have probably 8000 miles on them and they recently tested out good. I have yet to do a manual gp. Injectors are supposedly new with maybe 1000 miles. Replaced all the return lines.

Just waiting on some $$ to come in so i can get some fuel line and wire for the GPs.

edit - I will try to wire up the manual override today..found some wire. i will let you know how it goes

Last edited:

sootman73

Reaction score
i cant remember if i have a video of my truck on youtube of a cold start on a 35-40degree day but it will have the right amount of rattle as it was timed by mel at about 8degrees BTDC. Its rather loud on cold mornings with the high idle on.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine sounds like its got marbles bouncing around inside the engine...

Bypassed the GP controller with a switch. Seemed to start easier. We will see tomorrow morning.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will i be safe at 10 seconds? Holding it while cranking seems to help.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to me 10 seconds is a long time I thought 5 seconds. because your not going through relays its straight 12 v power not a 6 volt. which is why if you do the manual switch it will you are living on borrowed time unless you have 12 v glow plugs there was a link in here somewhere for them.Now while you crank hold for 3 or 5 seconds and thats it no more I dont want you to ruin your glow plugs what are they berus or what?

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Berus. How is it a 6 volt system if there is 12 volts going to the glow plugs? 5 seconds was not enough to get it to fire up. When i had the GPs out and jumped them from the batt it took 8 seconds to get orange hot.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha good question now I always figured if you go through a glow plug controller it steaps it down so buy the time it comes out it reads close to 6 volts thats why 10 seconds is too long if its straight 12v

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now to me it never made sense but there are old fourms in here that say this I mean even I had to idis and but controllers where bad but I swelled both plugs in each truck so yeah I was young and dumb

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it was going through the controller i was at 12V at the GP's. I don't think mine is 6 volt

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ok do you have a spare plug laying around hook it straight up to a battery and see how long it takes to get hot and also have you changed the controller ?? or know of it being changed mine came out as 5v which I think mine was bad so sorry for that but yes you do have a good one now I was just told if you wanted to get rid of problems to cut the relay out of the system and hook it up wirelessly

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Berus. How is it a 6 volt system if there is 12 volts going to the glow plugs? 5 seconds was not enough to get it to fire up. When i had the GPs out and jumped them from the batt it took 8 seconds to get orange hot.

I have a switch hooked up already.

It is still a bit rough. Started it last night, wasn't as bad as it was with the controller, but it isn't perfect. Better, atleast. :dunno