85 F250 6.9 NA Issues

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1985 Ford F250 6.9 IDI NA, 4 spd manual. Ive had this truck for a couple months now. I am currently in Wyoming attending wyotech. Myself and the truck are from MN. Please note upon purchase it had a misfire at highway speed, but i replaced the fuel filter and filled with PSD and it cleared up. Back in mn the truck ran fairly well and revved out nice and clean. New beru GP's. Stock exhaust besides 3" cherrybomb glasspack.

Either the truck hates the elevation or the 1000 mile trip took its toll. On the way out here it started to misfire at highway speed and run rough. Replaced fuel filter and it seemed to clear up for about 2 miles then ran badly again. Once here in wyoming i replaced the filter again, but had no effects. The gas mileage dropped from 18 city in mn to 13-15.

I advanced the timing a bit but that didnt help much. Replaced the injectors with NEW delphi BB codes. Seemed to help a small bit. Compression checks out at 400 PSI on every cylinder. There is a bolt with a locknut on the back side of the pump above the outlet lines i messed with and it acted like it did something but nothing substantial. Honestly don't know what that bolt does.

Upon sitting for a day or so, it will start up with minimal blue/white smoke and run fairly well. Still doesn't want to rev out, though. It acts like it hits a limiter past 1/2 throttle and just blows black/white/blue smoke. If it sits more than 10 mins after being ran, on startup it runs very rough and will cloud out the parking lot with blue/white smoke. Back in MN it hardly used any oil. Now it burns a pretty good amount. I run either howes additive or power service diesel additive in the fuel. 2 QUARTS lucas oil additive. Drained the water sep a couple times with no effects. The fuel tank does leak a bit when filled up. The water in fuel light does work, but never comes on when running.

It is tough to go past about 65 without it misfiring badly. It doesn't seem to have much power either.

Does it sound like the pumps going out? Air in fuel lines? Lift pump?

Thanks in advance. if i need to provide any more info just tell me :dunno

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a picture of your IP? from what you describe, it sounds like its a 94 IP with the torque screw (external fuel adjustment). IMHO, it sounds like your IP is goin out, but im still too new to the IDI world to give you a concrete answer. you can narrow it down a touch if you use a jerry can of diesel and stick hose on your lift pump and let it suck it out. to check your lift pump, take the line off of it and crank the motor. if it sends pulses of fuel, then look elsewhere. in this fashion you can slowly weed out what does work until you find what doesnt.

sharp lookin truck, by the way!

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will get a picture today. The bolt did have a wire holding it in place so i assume its an adjustment. Ill try the lift pump test. Thanks bud

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ur IP is going bad or you have a ring or two bad in the engine or one or two of the injectors are going out but there should be a bowl or something that is a clean out on your trucks ip if you find it and it has metal shavings in it the ur ip is dickered.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compression is good and it has new injectors. Considering the injectors didn't make much of a difference i assume they are good. Broke loose the lines on both sets of injectors while running and they all made a difference. Where would this bowl be on the ip?

I think i will try to turn in that "torque screw" flush with the nut.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well see that is the thing i watcha youtube vid and the guys truck was the same as urs and i forget where he pulled it out at it had liek a wire mesh type deal and every time hed clean it the truck would run awesome for a mile and thats it back to poop. ill have to look for it

mrbison

Reaction score
Sorry about your trouble. I was wondering what you think about your glasspack, I was considering doing the same thing. Do you like it?

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom - Thanks for your comment. Turns out that there is a gasket inside the injector pump that gives out and degrades. The evidence is in the check valve. The IP needs to be rebuilt. I have sent mine in to be rebuilt and am waiting now to get it back. Thanks
richkrichk5 1 year ago

from a comment on the thread

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your compression is good, I would say nothing wrong with the motor. I'm leaning towards bad IP, and or lift pump and also make sure your pickup assembly in the fuel tank is good and not drawing in air.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt that line/check valve he takes off the input line?

I do like the cherrybomb. Sounds very nice(or atleast it did when it ran good) Deep tone and nice rapp revving it out. Way better than straight IMO

How can i check the pickup in tank?

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt that line/check valve he takes off the input line?

I do like the cherrybomb. Sounds very nice(or atleast it did when it ran good) Deep tone and nice rapp revving it out. Way better than straight IMO

How can i check the pickup in tank?

take a rubber bit off of the hard line on the frame, and connect an electric fuel pump to it.

and cherrybombs are the ****. granted, this vid is of my ol 460 gasser, but from what ive found with my 6.9, havin it strait piped, the exhaust note is nearly the same, so you can get an idea how they would sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkBBnLrtQ0

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i don't have a lot of $ to throw around, so getting an electric pump isn't really an option.

Mine straight piped was ungodly loud and sounded terrible i think, the cherrybomb made it sound wonderful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online