7.3 w/Turbo Mild Upgrade - Recommendations

Chappy

Reaction score
7.3 w/Turbo Mild Upgrade - Any Recommendations?

Hey guys, have a 1990 7.3 with ATS turbo, pickup has 94k original miles and runs great besides the puff of white smoke when it starts cold here in Wyoming . Been doing a lot of research around here to prepare for a fuel system overhaul in the next few months. This truck is used for commuting and the occasional toy hauling. Looking for a mild upgrade, my thoughts so far are:

Baby Moose IP
BB Code Delphi Injectors (typ4)
Fresh Plugs while I'm there

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've been doing research, good stuff nice choices...if you have a turbo you could go up to a Moose Pump though if you wanted.

Also may ....may wanna consider typ4 cam while at it...that would be a nice package and over all a weekend job.

Good luck with your truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Whats posted above it what I would recommend too. I love my Moose Pump... give Mel at Consetoga Diesel a call for the Moose pumps.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you use only Motorcraft glow plugs. Intercooler is an excellent upgrade. Depending on your turbo system you may want to upgrade the turbine outlet, down pipe and exhaust if you have a 093 system. If it is a 093 ATS it will be equipped with a waste gated turbo. If it's an ATS system that was installed new from ATS these upgrades wouldn't need to be done. If it came from a newer factory turboed pickup it may still have the small outlet and crushed down pipe. Also type4 can upgrade your your 093 turbo if that is what you have.

Chappy

Reaction score
thanks guys for the replies, what risks would i be taking if I installed the moose pump without an intercooler? I don't race it, or do any regular heavy pulling...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have read your thread before answering your PM. Given your altitude, a Moose pump would likely produce a lot of smoke.when accelerating with your toy hauler. OK if you don't mind it, but you will be driving by the pyro. You may instead be interested in a new product I am developing which we are calling the Moose Jr., which is a pump half way between a baby and a full Moose. It wont be ready until next year though. Barring that, I would rdcommend a Baby Moose and BB injectors.

Chappy

Reaction score
That sounds perfect for my setup! Would typ4's BB injectors still be the injector of choice for the moose jr?

Black dawg

Reaction score
That sounds perfect for my setup! Would typ4's BB injectors still be the injector of choice for the moose jr?

Have you messed with the fuel screw yet? the stock pump maxed out gives pretty dang good performance. You said it is still running good, I would tune what you have, it might get better than you think.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Have you messed with the fuel screw yet? the stock pump maxed out gives pretty dang good performance. You said it is still running good, I would tune what you have, it might get better than you think.

all depends on the quality of re-built pump you have. mine is maxed out and i have to work to touch 800*F EGT.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have been meaning to ask, does your pump have the torque screw? If so, back that sucker out.

Reaction score
I would most definatly be interested in a moose Jr. Would fit my needs pretty well as I live a mile high and I drive with a heavy load all the time and put about 40k on my trucks a year

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I have been meaning to ask, does your pump have the torque screw? If so, back that sucker out.

talking to me?

yeah mine has the torque screw. no point in doing anything with that. if is for emissions. is is to delay fuel delivery at low rpms in efforts to reduce smoke off the line. i have a diesel care IP, i have come to the conclusion that is a crappy rebuild. it works though, and at this point that is all i ask for. hopefully this truck is LONG GONE before i need to buy a new IP for it.

Chappy

Reaction score
I havent messed with the pump at all. Ill look into its adjustment and look forward to the moose jr next year!
Do i need a pyrometer before i adjust the fuel?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online