7.3 powerstroke oil leak

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the issue I am dealing with which is come on with the cold weather is smoking on a cold start it'll idle for half an hour and still have a steady stream of smoke blue. Would anyone think that could be valve guide seals and how hard are those to change? And again thank you for your interest and comments this has been very helpful.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got rid of the haze on mine with a 203° thermostat. Just wasn't building heat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I can see that after the engine is warmed up but what about cold start smoke I'll try to post a video of my cold start it's pretty drastic

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Show me what your truck smokes like

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that is not that bad.
You could have a dead glowplug or two, possibly a few worn injectors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I do know that I have four dead glow plugs do the good ones continue to heat after the truck starts after the light goes off?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know that I have four dead glow plugs do the good ones continue to heat after the truck starts after the light goes off?

Yes they continue to heat. A good mod is to wire an LED light from the GP side of the relay into the cab....that way you can see when your GPs are being powered. I've also added a switch inside the cab next the the LED so I can manually disable the glow plugs during "hot" starts or times when they simply aren't needed to save wear and tear.

That smoke isn't bad at all for only having 4 working glow plugs. The cylinders without the working glow plugs don't have enough heat for complete combustion, hence the smoke until the cylinders warm up on their own.

I'd also suggest upgrading to the stancor relay if you've still got the original small relay.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they continue to heat. A good mod is to wire an LED light from the GP side of the relay into the cab....that way you can see when your GPs are being powered. I've also added a switch inside the cab next the the LED so I can manually disable the glow plugs during "hot" starts or times when they simply aren't needed to save wear and tear.

That smoke isn't bad at all for only having 4 working glow plugs. The cylinders without the working glow plugs don't have enough heat for complete combustion, hence the smoke until the cylinders warm up on their own.

I'd also suggest upgrading to the stancor relay if you've still got the original small relay.
Okay so I ordered the glow plugs relay iañd thermostat it might be a while but when I get them installed I will make another video thanks for the advice sounds real good

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did manage to get the new glow plugs in and the big monster relay and you can see in the video the improvements still want to change out thermostat but have a problem getting the bolt out it is stripped off.
Thanks for all the advice and expertise you save me a lot of money.
Check out the video

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online