7.3 misfiring at high speed and blowing gray smoke.

dieselloverct

Reaction score
I need some opinions on what to buy or look at on my 1993 f350 drw
7.3 IDI. Here is some info on it. It has 113,000 miles on it. I bought it about two years ago and put about 4000 mi on it. I use it for towing a camper and my boat mostly.
I use diesel kleen at all my fill ups. I also run dca in coolant. Recent napa gold fuel filter and new beru glow plugs. The return lines were leaking when I bought it and replaced "o rings" and new rubber lines. I drain the filter often also.
It has been starting hard lately and now I found out that it has a bad miss at around 2500 rpm up and blows alot of gray smoke. I am thinking maybe time for injectors? Maybe one is stuck open? Need some opinions on what to do.
I do not want do damage the engine.
Thanks,
Gregg

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Does sound like an injector job is in need. If they're grey, it's the originals and with 113k miles on them, it's time for some new ones.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I will look at them tommorow to see if they are grey, and look now online for who has some.
if you can afford it, do the pump and injectors at the same time.
Typ4(russ) has the best deal yet on injectors.
I just got stiffed by a customer on one set from russ. if he is backordered, the set I have is for sale at the same price of what he sells it at.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Calvin.... Those injectors are not a set you got stiffed for... They are "back seat spares".....:rotflmao Spare parts are good parts to have...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With 113K on the clock it's definitely time for a new set of hole squirters and a turkey baister. :sly

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
My truck had the same symptoms when the injection pump was going bad. I dont think your injectors are the problem. I think its time for a rebuild on the injection pump. Believe me my truck had exactally the same symptoms and once the rebuilt pump was on she was purring like normal again.

dieselloverct

Reaction score
Yes the injectors are the originals in it. I think I will try some injectors in it. If that does not fix it then I know it is most likely the injection pump. I should try a lift pump first. They are cheap. What do you think?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle