1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.3 idit

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Adrenaline73, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Adrenaline73

Adrenaline73 Registered User

Alright guys I’m looking at a 87 zf5 7.3 idi turbo has arp head studs and r&d injectors. And I’m also looking at a 96 12 valve with an auto but bone stock and has 250k on it. I’m pulling 10k to 13k and was wondering if the idi can handle that? 12 valve there asking 6k for and the idi is 3000

2. nitroguy

nitroguy Full Access Member

With the 5 speed, and a turbo the IDI will handle that weight no problem. (just make sure it has a pyro gauge to monitor temps, either currently or add one for a less than 200 bucks.)

Both seem like great deals, but that of course depends on condition. For those prices and those miles (not knowing much about the cummins, or worse get, the sheet metal wrapper around the cummins of those years) I think either are a viable option.

Inspect them both, watch a cold start of both, and if you end up with the IDI, make sure to check back here often, there's a huge wealth of knowledge to keep the ol girl running in tip top shape.

3. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I'd steer clear of the Cummins just so you don't have to deal with the wrapper. Especially since it has an automatic transmission.

Isaac Ristow likes this.
  4. Farmer Rock

Farmer Rock just a fella' without a 10mm socket

I would go for the IDIT,and at that price you better jump on it if it checks out.I agree with IDIBRONCO about the quality of those dodge bodies.It's a cumm-apart in a fall-apart.:rotflmao
    I also agree with nitro guy that with a turbo and a zf5,that truck will have no problem pulling that kind of weight.

Rock

Dane Rickford and chillman88 like this.
  5. Adrenaline73

well I went to look the 12 valve the guy back on it when I was an hour and half into the drive saying he promised his wife a Christmas tree....... So I’m 99.99999% sure I’m going with the idi.

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  6. Adrenaline73

Any problems I need to look out for when I test drive it? Apparently it’s suppose to only have 1500 on rebuilt 94 factory turbo motor same with clutch and trans

7. Isaac Ristow

Isaac Ristow Full Access Member

Check the oil and coolant, see how it cold starts, and runs smoothly, but otherwise they are a really solid truck

Adrenaline73 and Dane Rickford like this.
  8. Randy Bush

Randy Bush Full Access Member

I have a 93 factory turbo dually that I haul a 15000 lb manlift behind it all the time. Little slow on some hills ,but it still gets the job done.

Adrenaline73 likes this.
  9. u2slow

u2slow bilge rat

I would want some proper details on the IDI. Factory 87 engine is a 6.9. Factory IDIT is 93-94. I'd not want to find out its a hasty HG job or cracked-head-replacement on a tired 6.9 and some bolt-ons. 5 speed is a definite win. Drive it to check the synchros.

I would't pay $6k for an auto 2ndgen Dodge that's likely poop out its trans within its first few hauls with that 10-13k#. Does the front end (axle/suspension) have any upgrades?

Rust is of concern for both despite the age difference... with that gen dodge, the frame can be as bad as the body. (I've wrecked out a few of each.)

HTH.

10. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

You can tell a couple of different ways. One, you can check the engine serial number unless someone stupidly ground it off. The second way won't give you the year, but it will tell you whether or not it's a Factory Turbo block. The hole where the oil pressure gauge feed is at is 1/8" NPT on N/A engines. It's 1/4" NPT on Factory Turbo engines. I didn't say that #2 would be easy, but it is a way. Some body may have drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT hole to a 1/4" NPT, but I doubt it. That would be an AWFUL lot of work for nothing but appearances.

u2slow, riphip and Adrenaline73 like this.
  11. Randy Bush

Randy Bush Full Access Member

Couple more things to look for is the valve covers. drivers side should have a hole in it for the CDR ,and right side should have bracket for the glow plug controller. Also IIRC on the front of the block flat area by pump cover should be a stamping that has a T for turbo in it.

Adrenaline73 likes this.
  12. Scotty4

Scotty4 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pull the oil fill cap and watch/feel. Also ask if he knows what SCAs are.

Adrenaline73 likes this.
  13. Adrenaline73

alright so went looked at it not a bad pickup needs some works. Windshield has a crack in it body needs some work. But it hard starts and blows smoke that smells like raw diesel and it sounds like a powerstroke? What would cause it to smoke and sound like that?

14. Farmer Rock

Farmer Rock just a fella' without a 10mm socket

Sounds like GPs to me.They sound real rough when they are cold started if that's what you are referring to.Every truck I have ever bought,came with a complimentary cracked windshield,so to me that's part of the game.

Rock

riphip likes this.
  15. Adrenaline73

I’m going to pick it up tomorrow for 3k doesn’t seem to bad of a deal he has all the paper work for the motor and trans be rebuild. It’s about 3k just for the motor and trans rebuild. I did check and it’s a factory turbo motor.

u2slow, riphip and Farmer Rock like this.