7.3 IDI w/ banks turbo overheating

Cole Roberts

Reaction score
Did you hear the fan roar when you fired it up cold and then go quiet after warming up a few minutes? And then did you ever hear it come on after you got it out on the road and hot?

I did not hear the fan on cold start nor while running it on the freeway. I only have a downpipe for exhaust currently so I figured maybe I didn’t hear it I was concerned I couldn’t hear it, but I towed about 5,000 on the freeway for 30 miles and it stayed cool at 190. And before it was getting hot on the freeway with no load.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at replacing mine too because it always heats up when pulling a load. My truck was built in April 1992 and some websites show only one while others show two different clutches used for that year: before or after 2/14/92. Anyone know what the difference is? They are both clockwise rotation.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you guys are hinting that at highway speed with no load just empty, it should cool with no fan at all. I agree, you would think with the large frontal area and all that air going through the radiator, it would stay cool. But not so on my truck. That is what threw me off for awhile and why I was changing other parts. For some reason I can't explain, on a hot day running down the interstate, you are on the throttle all the time and it will get hot unless the fan is helping out.

On a hot day, it seems like the temperature gauge is directly hooked to the throttle, no matter how fast you are going.
I think this is location specific. Montana and british columbia probably don't often see unloaded freeway trucks needing fans. Nevada, Virginia, and myself in TN do.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at replacing mine too because it always heats up when pulling a load. My truck was built in April 1992 and some websites show only one while others show two different clutches used for that year: before or after 2/14/92. Anyone know what the difference is? They are both clockwise rotation.

I've heard it said that there was a different clutch on the factory turbo trucks, one that locks up a little sooner. I don't know if that's true, but that could be what you're seeing.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is location specific. Montana and british columbia probably don't often see unloaded freeway trucks needing fans. Nevada, Virginia, and myself in TN do.

It won't overheat at night. I was on a long trip having problems, but when the sun went down it quit overheating. The hills we have around here don't help either. Once I got further south where it was flat, it helped it out also.

Cole Roberts

Reaction score
What fan clutch would you guys recommend running? I’m thinking about replacing this Napa one since I haven’t heard it turn on at all. I was towing on the freeway yesterday and the truck climbed to about 215 degrees and I still didn’t hear the fan.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will hear it best when cold. When you start out on highway after first start of the day it should sound like a freight train and then slowly quiet as it warms up.
I have tried multiple times on multiple trucks to hear it lock when towing and the engine starts to warm without a whole lot of luck.
You are in Reno. My guess is its hot. If you were towing heavy 215 could be normal.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard complaints about the truck having to get too hot before the fan comes in. One of the reasons I did not buy one. There are some threads on here where people have taken and modified the spring on the front to make it lock up sooner.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or even locked the clutch in place so that it's always engaged.

That's what I did. The picture is below. I don't know if it's for everyone. If you do not have overdrive, and drive your truck everyday for transportation, I am not sure I could recommend locking the fan. I have overdrive which brings the rpms down. When you get above 2000 rpm the locked fan makes itself known. And I use my truck as a truck, I only use it when I need to haul or tow something. So the locked fan fits for me. If I drove it to work everyday empty 90% of the time, the locked fan would probably get old after awhile.

You must be registered for see images attach
fan lock brackets by D Franklin, on Flickr

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Rock Auto is one place I’ve seen them, I will see if I have invoice, mine came from eBay. Was considering getting an extra since we know the Motorcraft supply will dry up suddenly one day. I’ve put 2 on the 91 in the past 19 years so I figure I’m going to need one more!

Cole Roberts

Reaction score
Update for you guys, I replaced my fan clutch with a Napa one like stated earlier, I still don’t hear the fan on cold start nor when it gets hot. I got it up to about 240 towing heavy the other day and it didn’t click on. I replaced it with a Hayden fan clutch today but it still didn’t turn on upon cold start. I am about to take it for a drive to see if it will turn on then.

one thing I didn’t think of earlier. This truck is supposed to have AC but never has since I bought it. The AC unit is in there but it looks out of service. Anyway, the belt that is supposed to run from crank, to water pump, to AC isn’t even there. Would that be the reason my fan isn’t clicking on?

thanks again guys.

Cole Roberts

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the AC unit without a belt.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online