7.3 idi turbo whistle

Jwalker845

Reaction score
I have a 94 7.3 idi turbo diesel with a brand new turbo in it, it likes to whistle loud when I first start it but then I can’t hear it afterwards anyone have the solution to this problem? I’ve heard where people have said there whistles the entire time and that’s something I want mine to do but haven’t been able to figure out the issue

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know that you want to hear it, but have you checked the boost? Do you have a boost gauge installed? If not, I think that you should so you can keep an eye on it. If it's making good boost, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Jwalker845

Reaction score
Yeah I have one but the turbo creates very little boost to even tell if it’s moving even when it’s whistling it creates around 1 psi

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That would be why your turbo doesn't whistle much then. The whistle sound comes from the turbo producing boost. I would guess that you have a pretty bad boost leak or exhaust leak. I would have to guess that the loud whistle upon first start would have something to do with the advanced timing at a cold idle speed. I can't even try to explain any farther than that.

Lawrence Koepke

Reaction score
Where is the whistle coming from? I installed a Banks Sidewinder kit on my '91 F350 7.3 IDI, and hear a whistle in the exhaust at idle, but that's all. The Sidewinder produces zero boost at idle, as designed.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don`t believe any Turbo produces Boost at idle.
They don`t produce boost till they wind up from the Exhaust Gasses spinning the blades.

I have driven a lot of different types of equipment with Turbos, and don`t remember any of them having a whistle.
8V-92 Detroit and Cummins 350 in dump trucks and other diesel engines. A lot of the DT-466 trucks and stuff I forgot about.

Goat

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Not sure what you call it, a whistle or a whine. But 7.3 PSD’s and older Dodges have a turbo whine out the tail pipe at idle and acceleration. My Yanmar diesel in my does the same thing when flushing the engine on the trailer. You just have to know what the sound is to notice it.

Now you say it whistles loud at start and goes away. Does it do it when it’s a cold start, warm start, or both? Does it whistle like boost or exhaust is leaking out a gasket causing a whistle like a ref uses on a sports field or a specific noise like a whine out the exhaust pipe or intake?

Some other thoughts.
1) If you give the truck throttle when starting that is going to spin the turbo. That may change the whine pitch.
2) Maybe you have a exhaust leak and it whistles, things get hot and it seals up.
3) Your truck has a cold in advance and high throttle soleniod. So our trucks run different cold than minutes later hot.

Maybe post a Video on Youtube for us to hear it.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I would say this is pretty heathy Banks sidewinder straight piped intercooled engine and turbo sound
That is what I call a whine but some may say is a whistle coming from the exhaust. But it is what I would expect from a healthy working turbo. Very noticeable on 7.3 PSD’s.

Erwins has what appears to be a intercooler (Basically a radiator for air.) which would muffle turbo whine from the intake. Without a intercooler perhaps one could hear the intake fan/compressor whining under the hood.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Without a intercooler perhaps one could hear the intake fan/compressor whining under the hood.
I think that you're right. I've seen several people say how much they love the fact that they're cowl intake makes the turbo sound louder. I really don't think that I'd want to listen to a loud turbo sound myself.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that you're right. I've seen several people say how much they love the fact that they're cowl intake makes the turbo sound louder. I really don't think that I'd want to listen to a loud turbo sound myself.

One of those things that is fun until it becomes annoying. Kind of like a loud exhaust, fun around town but long trips on the highway and the fun disappears after 6-8hrs straight listening to it drone LOL

Black dawg

Reaction score
Intercooler is between compressor and engine....has no effect on hearing the turbo through the air filter.
That is what I call a whine but some may say is a whistle coming from the exhaust. But it is what I would expect from a healthy working turbo. Very noticeable on 7.3 PSD’s.

Erwins has what appears to be a intercooler (Basically a radiator for air.) which would muffle turbo whine from the intake. Without a intercooler perhaps one could hear the intake fan/compressor whining under the hood.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Intercooler is between compressor and engine....has no effect on hearing the turbo through the air filter.
Black Dawg,

You are correct, I was thinking this out wrong. The intercooler would be past the air cleaner and the turbo to cool the air leaving the turbo. Thus would not muffle the noise on the intake side of the turbo.

My bad.