7.3 idi sucked water

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...so....was off road today, was running great and i went through id say a 5 foot deep water/mud hole since my truck was the biggest. Didnt get stuck but on entry i FILLED the engine with water (because i forgot to take off the plastic intake tube) engine shut right off but no big deal got the tools out pulled the glow plugs and pumped the water out and fired her back up #becauseidi. Now my problem is, it idles smooth, free revs smooth, but under a load while driving she randomly breaks up. What do you guys think.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never been in deep water myself, Been in deep **** though. Just a guess but maybe water got in the fuel tank. Start with that and see what happens. doesn't sound like a mechanical issue

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was the most impressive thing ive ever seen the engine was full. intake manifold was half full of water. and yes i put diesel 911 in the tank

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think so. i have a down road vent tube out of the engine goes from the back of the intake straight down. the hole wasnt deep while i was sitting there it was barely up to the bumper. and im 4 inch lift on 35's. i just hit the water so hard it went right up the intake tube

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might still have water in the Intake manifold, check the fuel filter for water. Your extremmly fortunetly you didn't bend/break some rods. Water is damn ******* injectors.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no way that water did not get into the engine oil.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would change the oil regardless. If possible, it wouldn't hurt to drain the fuel tanks, add a heavy dose of ISO HEET to tank and top it off with diesel. Also replace/clean air filter and clean CDR. Then go from there.
I would not let it sit for a long period of time. You need to get ALL water out of engine and fuel system.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats one way to drastically reduce your EGT's

next time put a prop on that bad boy

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont have a CDR, air filter is already out it damn near sucked into the engine. I have one fuel tank and its 1/4 full with diesel 911 in the tank, not a lick of water In the oil but will change it. I think i have a bad injector somewhere somehow Cold start it steady pumps white smoke for 10min has a random miss. And then goes away then does the breaking up while driving.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Mud has plugged up the intake ports. LOL Mud under the exhaust valves too. LOL.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any thought given to checking the differentials for water too??? Maybe after everything drys out you wont have these issues. Might be wet electrical connections causing the problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle