7.3 idi boost.....

Cletusduhlitass

Reaction score
hey so I’m pretty new to making posts on a forum. I’ve read quite a bit about boosting an idi and everyone and their mother has a different opinion. My idi has a good bit of modification already. (1989 f-superduty){edit: truck is a weekend warrior not my daily nor do I tow haul or anything of that nature, I just drive the truck roll some coal and enjoy it} imo it exceptionally well. It has a facet electric fuel pump. Stainless injector lines r&d stage 1 injectors and upgraded returns. I’ve been told this truck has a “loggers” cam in it. No proof on that nor have I ever driven another idi to compare it to, but from outside sources people all day long tell me they’ve never seen a idi run the way mine does. For my daily job I bend and plumb exhaust systems so I plumbed a turbo set up (I’ll try and post pictures) I’m using a eBay special Honda turbo I had laying around T04E which has a {.63ar exh/ .50ar intk} (I know it’s extreamly small) I went this route because A:I’ve seen people push these turbos really really far and B:they’re only 1/200 <300$ turbos and C:these motors don’t rev out so I figured if I went small turbo I could have more boost faster..... but the main question is how much boost psi do you professionals believe I can push inside of this thing while retaining my headgaskets (no studs)

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think boost will be your issue with that small of a turbo, the factory turbo is significantly larger than that t04e and it starts to run out of steam around 13-15 psi. I think the first issue you may run into is not having a wastegate to bypass that tiny turbine.

Cletusduhlitass

Reaction score
I’m kinda confused you think it’s not going to make more then 15 and I’m going to need a wastegate to bleed anything after 15?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point we won’t know anything until you run it, but judging how these engine do with various size turbos I think that turbo is too small for an idi. Although these engines don’t rev like a gasser, in the Diesel world they rev quite high. Just 3000 rpms with 7.3 liters is a lot of air. It’s just guessing until you run it for real, but I’d wager you may get 5-6 psi out of that turbo, and it will restrict the exhaust so much it may not make any more power, or it may make 10 psi and be fine. I’m just judging off of how these engines perform with a T04b and assuming that a smaller cheaper design will perform worse.

Cletusduhlitass

Reaction score
I’m working with what I got here lol I’m going to fab a charge pipe tonight and post pics and let you guys know what happens ‍♂️♂️♂️

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That would be great. It's always interesting to hear about thinking outside of the box and results. Good or bad doesn't matter (well it might to you). A "logger" cam was most likely one from our very own Typ4. I had a 6.9 that I had headers on, I ported the heads, and installed a Typ4 cam. That was an extremely good running N/A 6.9!

Last edited:

Cletusduhlitass

Reaction score
So I made the charge pipe and it seals the turbo spools and I put a valve stem in the turbo piping and it appears it’s not building boost... could the 444ci engine be moving more air then the turbo can produce? Because it sounds like a airplane spoiling up

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I made the charge pipe and it seals the turbo spools and I put a valve stem in the turbo piping and it appears it’s not building boost... could the 444ci engine be moving more air then the turbo can produce? Because it sounds like a airplane spoiling up

Did you drive it

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That turbo is way too small. if you want a cheap turbo that will work use a chinabay hx40 you can get them in T3 look for 12-14cm exhaust housing. I was going to throw a borg warner s200sxe on my idi with .70 exh a/r

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only turbo I got noticable boost free-revving it like that is my S360 with .63 exhaust housing - so large turbo(lots of air-moving capacity), with a tight exhaust housing.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah you wont make maybe a pound of boost just revving it. too small of a turbo on an engine can cause really high drive pressure and a wastegate can eliminate that. the factory turbos or others of that size can make lots of boost but cant flow enough so things get hot. i have a Garrett gt3788r and can pull a hill all day with 10,000 lbs and over 20 lbs of boost and everything stays nice and cool.

Cletusduhlitass

Reaction score
yeah you wont make maybe a pound of boost just revving it. too small of a turbo on an engine can cause really high drive pressure and a wastegate can eliminate that. the factory turbos or others of that size can make lots of boost but cant flow enough so things get hot. i have a Garrett gt3788r and can pull a hill all day with 10,000 lbs and over 20 lbs of boost and everything stays nice and cool.

When you say high drive pressure are you talking about pressure in the pre turbo exhaust? One thing I did forget to mention now that you mention heat is that this turbo setup that I created has about prob around 6/8 feet of exhaust BEFORE the turbo I don’t know if that matters or if it even works this way but the exhaust entering the turbo should be significantly cooler due to the air underneath the truck cooling off the exhaust here’s a picture to understand better.. both exhaust banks meet at the factory location and go back about two feet and I 180’d that pipe back up through the firewall. Now I’m no scientist but if I’m running 800° egt at the manifold at like 3/4 throttle it’s going to be nowhere near that entering the turbo due to A:the amount of air flowing past the exhaust B: the distance of the between the manifolds and the turbo.. right or wrong?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes it would be cooler, not sure how much. thats why most up pipes are wrapped to keep the heat in and help performance. i am using a hypermax base and it has a fair amount of piping but much smaller diameter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726