7.3 bad injector/timing cause over heat/white smoke?

1990f2507.3

Reaction score
ok so I got a 7.3 idi with a non waste gated ats turbo putting out 12 psi boost and I think i have a bad injector my reasoning is... i have listened to every injector with a stethoscope and one is much louder than the others when reved up to about 2500 rpm in neutral misses slightly and makes white smoke does not use any oil or water when i smelled the exhaust it smells like a cold diesel when first started on a cold day.... big question is can this cause it to overheat the water temperature? i have replaced the t stat with a motocraft 195 degree t stat the fan clutch and the radiator still have the same overheat problem unless i back out of the throttle to about 5 psi of boost.... barely into the throttle.... all suggestions are greatly appreciated. one last questions what code of injectors would be in my truck assuming they are original injectors

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Your injector diagnosis would probly mean time for new injectors. i believe "E" codes would be the factory injectors. when you get new ones go with "BB" code. i wish i would have kept my "BB"s when i did my injectors.

As far as the overheating i don't know.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
thank you. i have heard the bb code injectors before. what injectors are you running in your truck

I am running "G"s:puke::mad:
Here is how my injector stroy went down.
it had previously remaned g codes in before when i got the truck. during the winter it started to have what sounded like bad rod knock. my friend said to get my injectors pop tested. so i did. 4 were good and 4 were bad. bough new (reamans). They were BB's. put them in and had a good amount of white smoke on starts no matter what engine temp. i emailed the place i bought them from and he said that i needed to adjust my IP timing. i said no i am not going to screw with something else to fix a seperate problem. so i pulled the bb's out and got g's. ran much better.

This all happened before i found this site and knew what i should be doing as far as the fuel system goes.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
So, here's my thoughts on how timing affects heat in the engine.

When combustion takes place the heat released by the combustion goes towards the following areas;

1)Exhaust heat
2)Thermal heat released into the coolant and lube oil
3)Frictional losses
4)Useable work (i.e. the kinetic force implied upon the piston)

Believe it or not, only about 30% of the heat released by the fuel durring combustion is turned into useable work on an IDI engine (more like 40% for a DI engine) the rest goes to the 'big three' being exhaust loss, thermal load loss, and frictional loss.

So this is where timing plays a key role in making the engine perform better, or worse, or average. When the injection timing is advanced, meaning the fuel is injected into the combustion chamber farther before the piston reaches top-dead-center, more of the fuel's energy is converted into kinetic force because the fuel is combusting longer, and at a higher pressure. This is both good and bad, good because more energy is released that can do 'work' by forcing the piston back down, but bad because it creates a much higher stress on the connecting parts, crank, DMF flywheel (which I love so well :rolleyes: ).

The farther retared the timing is, meaning the fuel is injected closer to the piston being at TDC, or even being injected after the piston has moved past TDC and is moving away from the head, the lower the cylinder pressure will be, therefore the combustion pressure will be lower. The amount of fuel injected could be the exact same amount as when the timing was advanced, but less of the heat (in the form of expanding gasses) is being converted into useable work (to push the piston down), and more of the heat is leaving the cylinder as thermal load into the coolant, or exhaust heat. Either way, higher exhaust temps = higher coolant temps since the coolant flows through the head and around the cylinder walls.

Here's where it gets interesting... of course if your timing is retarded, you will not be injecting the same amount of fuel as before (when it was advanced) because you will need MORE fuel since you are not combusting it as effeciently. More fuel = more heat. More heat with less work = more thermal load on the coolant.

Most everything else in the engine is static, frictional losses are the same throught the timing range. Lube oil flow, viscosity, all that is the same.

Hope this helps shed some light on the timing/heat issue... ;Sweet

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Soi should buy injectors before I take it to get the pump timed

Yes.
If your IP is old then that teamed with old injectors will mask each other so they don't seemed to be in all that bad of shape, but once you put new injectors up to your old pump, the IP starts to really show its age. If I were you i would get a good set of new (reman) BB's and a new (reman) IP. then have the pump timed. unless you get your injectors from one of two guys on here named Mel (Agnem) or Russ (typ4) i would get the new injectors pop tested before you put them in your truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pop testing any new or rebuilt injector is a must. A new injector right out of the box can be a leaker or pop low. this has been proven here several times before. The new Delhi injectors have a very poor quality control where they are made. Its somewhere across the border in Mexico. I'm not knocking the mexicans but a buyer should be getting a quality new part thats functioning properly. Not some broken down part thats not much better than what you replaced. This is just the facts of the injector business world these days. I know Russ checks what he sells before it goes out to a customer. That way he knows and stands behind what he sels. Mel is the same kind of a business man. Neither one will ever tell you to pound sand like some of the mentions listed in the Hall of Shame. One seller in tenn will never get a penny from me because of the way that business treated some very well thought of mechanical genius's on this forum. If you need to buy from anyone else then please have the rebuilt or new injectors pop tested before you install them. It saves plenty of heart aches down the road when the engine runs bad or just barley runs after you install differant injectors. Remember that knowledge is power.

1990f2507.3

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the advice but my pump cans be all that bad at all with only 143000 miles on the whole truck can it... I don't have that kinda money right now

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The life expectancy for the pump and injectors is generally around 100,000 miles.

Major tuneup items, like plugs/distributor/plug wires on a gasser.

I went over 200,000 on my original IP and injectors but things were getting pretty nasty towards the end, terrible heat soak issues and hard starts...

1990f2507.3

Reaction score
Well I seriously don't have 1,500 bucks to throw into this thing right now i just put tires on it my son just had surgery and some other things so do you think I could get away with just injectors and ip timing

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Well I seriously don't have 1,500 bucks to throw into this thing right now i just put tires on it my son just had surgery and some other things so do you think I could get away with just injectors and ip timing

I guess you could just run with new injectors and a retimed IP. you just won't be getting peak MPG and power, but i can understand if you just want it to run good.

Where are you coming up with $1,500 for IP and injectors.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I got a 7.3 idi with a non waste gated ats turbo putting out 12 psi boost and I think i have a bad injector my reasoning is... i have listened to every injector with a stethoscope and one is much louder than the others when reved up to about 2500 rpm in neutral misses slightly and makes white smoke does not use any oil or water when i smelled the exhaust it smells like a cold diesel when first started on a cold day.... big question is can this cause it to overheat the water temperature? i have replaced the t stat with a motocraft 195 degree t stat the fan clutch and the radiator still have the same overheat problem unless i back out of the throttle to about 5 psi of boost.... barely into the throttle.... all suggestions are greatly appreciated. one last questions what code of injectors would be in my truck assuming they are original injectors

I thought the "correct" thermostat was a 192 degree unit.

And if you don't have any money, you need to direct the guys on this board who are "in the know" what to do about the overheating problem, and let the miss and the white smoke go for now. I am thinking that little problem is not causing the overheating, but I would direct your questions more along those lines if you can't afford a new set of injectors.

I had a injector line crack on me during a long vacation trip, and I ran on 7 cylinders with the #1 injector line plumbed into the return system for about 500 miles in 90 degree heat with no overheating problems. It actually seemed to run cooler on 7 cylinders, though it was way down on power.