6.9 Oil Cooler

Philbert

Reaction score
Hello! It's my first post here, and I feel like I may already be in over my head.

I've got a 85 F-250 6.9 and the oil cooler on the Left side of the motor sprang a leak. I took off all the bolts and it's loose, but I can't seem to wiggle it out.

Does anyone know if I need to pull the motor or something? :dunno

Or do I just need to keep at it?

Any help would *really* be appreciated. Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
"technically" you're supposed to lift the motor to remove the cooler in one complete unit.
however.....there's been many here who have succeeded in leaving the front header bolted to the block, gently prying out the cooler bundle and the rear header and removing that section first and then unbolting the front header. the tricky part is putting the cooler bundle back into the front header. Hint...use lots of vaseline:D;Sweet
believe it or not, some here have gotten the gasket and o-ring job on this cooler down to 45 mins:eek:
good luck!
oh yea....
i have a buddy of mime who used to be a diesel mech living not too far from you in Lebanon, MO. If you really do need an extra pair of experienced hands, he might be convinced to come out of retirement for a day or so.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
welcome to the site and I took mine off in one piece it took some persuasion but I did not R&R it so it went back on the same way it came off. of course the rest of the engine was apart too!

Attachments

• DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    905.2 KB · Views: 49

Philbert

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up and advice on how to proceed with this. I'm gonna take another stab at it later this week and I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

Phil

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. My appologies for not having an oil cooler how-to in our tech articles section yet. This is something long overdue, and hopefully I'll get around to it some day. In the meantime, reference THIS recent thread.

madcj8

Reaction score
Hey Phil, welcome to the site, I was just down your way this weekend riding my motorcycle and picking up another IDI near Lamar, MO. It's an 83 that has some pretty milky engine oil so im figuring it is the oil cooler.....but does anyone know where a good place to get the o-rings from? I keep getting blank stares at the parts places and the stealership!

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ford Parts Online (Bob Utter Ford in Texas) will have them or any Navistar parts dept. If you have the 6 o-ring type oil cooler then your out of luck. All those o-rings are gone......

madcj8

Reaction score
this isnt looking good then, it has the early three ring design -cuss. Is that the only difference between the two? If so, I'm going to start looking for another cooler.....

madcj8

Reaction score
yeah, I did, it was kinda a mess the last few months I was there. Luckily my folks were able to come out and help drive the caravan back to kansas(my truck, a 26' penske and a 24' budget......all over weight)