6.9 idi with zf5 trans

Jesse248

Reaction score
Well my dual mass flywheel finally came apart. Anyone know of what single mass to replace if with or if its possible. Just dont like the dual mass flywheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just need a clutch kit for a 7.3 idi with the zf. There are several different brands, but they all come with a new solid flywheel and special clutch disc with lots of springs in it.

After you install it, get ready for some noise from the trans. Depending on how smooth your engine runs, it may be a lot of noise, or very little noise, but there will be some noise. That is what the DMF was for, to get rid of the noise.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot of guys on here really like the Luk clutch kits, they hold up really well and seem to be pretty good on the price. I personally bought the south bend clutch kit, they make some awesome clutches but are usually more $$ and make a lot more noise.

You must be registered for see images attach

I believe this is the kit you might be looking for

piperig78

Reaction score
Did you end up using a this kit? I am in the same situation with a 6.9, and from what I gather I'm not supposed to put a 7.3 idi flywheel on a 6.9 idi because of a balance differents. If you used this kit, do you notice any different vibrations after installation? The Luk kit doesn't come up on rock auto for a 1987 6.9, but does for a 1988 7.3 the only one for the 1987 6.9 was (BRUTE POWER/PERFECTION CLUTCH 91200SK). Any one use this conversion kit?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you end up using a this kit? I am in the same situation with a 6.9, and from what I gather I'm not supposed to put a 7.3 idi flywheel on a 6.9 idi because of a balance differents. If you used this kit, do you notice any different vibrations after installation? The Luk kit doesn't come up on rock auto for a 1987 6.9, but does for a 1988 7.3 the only one for the 1987 6.9 was (BRUTE POWER/PERFECTION CLUTCH 91200SK). Any one use this conversion kit?
As far as I know the only clutch kit you shouldn't use is one designed/balanced for the factory turbo engine. The above link is 93-94, makes me wonder if it's the turbo version. The flywheel is balanced differently than N/A stuff.

But as far as factory N/A stuff, 6.9 or 7.3 is all the same balance and bolt holes, etc. What transmission do you have?

piperig78

Reaction score
I have a zf5 from the junkyard, and the used dual mass from the same truck. It has all the springs in the flywheel yet, but from what I read dmf are ticking time bombs. Was just wondering what people were using on the 6.9 with a zf5 for flywheel/clutch kits

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'87 6.9's had the same ZF5 (+ or - a ratio change) as '88-'94 7.3 IDI's Just grab any kit for ZF5 IDI.

Heath

crabbypaul

Reaction score
I used LuK LFW127 Flywheel and LuK 07-131 Clutch Set that were purchased from Amazon. Both are still working good

Lootenny

Reaction score
I was able to use my 6.9 flywheel and a pressure plate for a 6.9, and had clutchnet make me a friction disc with the 6.9 diameter and the larger ZF splines. You will need to lengthen the clutch pushrod 5/8” (.625”) to account for the thinner flywheel with the ZF clutchfork location.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to use my 6.9 flywheel and a pressure plate for a 6.9, and had clutchnet make me a friction disc with the 6.9 diameter and the larger ZF splines. You will need to lengthen the clutch pushrod 5/8” (.625”) to account for the thinner flywheel with the ZF clutchfork location.

Was that any cheaper than using a 7.3 conversion kit? I see rockauto has the complete kit including the flywheel for $250

Lootenny

Reaction score
Was that any cheaper than using a 7.3 conversion kit? I see rockauto has the complete kit including the flywheel for $250

Maybe a little. The friction plate was about $160 and I got the pressure plate on clearance for $35, but had to have the flywheel cut. The only benefit was avoiding the debate on whether a 7.3 flywheel on a 6.9 results in a balance issue.

Prepare yourself for the noise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just used the standard Luk kit behind three 6.9s in three different vehicles. Now there's a 7.3 in front of it. I haven't noticed any differences.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LuK 07-225 is the part number for the 7.3-NA/ZF-5 kit. It's what you want for your 6.9.