6.9 IDI in International 1654

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 7.3IH out of a similar size truck sitting in the garage with the transmission if you are interested. It's supposed to need a pump. I haven't done a lot to it other than pull off one rocker arm cover.

Crashnsnap

Reaction score
Absolutely, 100%. The differences are all external. Yes, the starter is different (it's external) because the flywheel and the bellhousing are different (also external). The long block itself (oil cooler aside) is identical between Ford and International. I suppose that there may be one exception to the identical internal parts though. the oil pumps are the same, but the pick up tube is different. this is because Ford has a rear sump oil pan while International used a front sump. Naturally, there is a main cap bolt with a stud (Ford) to support the long pick up tube and, IIRC, Internationals didn't use this due to the short pick up tube.

Can I swap my international front sump oil pan for a rear sump Ford oil pan? I need clearance and that might solve the issue if possible.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Can I swap my international front sump oil pan for a rear sump Ford oil pan? I need clearance and that might solve the issue if possible.
Yes you can. You'll also need to use the oil pick up tube from the IHC engine. If you want to run the IHYC oil dipstick, you can swap them while the oil pan is off. There's a ball inside the front dipstick tube hole in your Ford engine. Just knock that out the bottom of the hole with the pan off. Be sure to catch the ball in your hand or something else. We would just clean up the ball really well, clean out the hole in the block, insert the ball into the "new" hole so that it's below the surface of the block, then put RTV over the top of the hole to seal it up. You have to do this while the oil pan is off because the ball can't be driven out of the hole with the pan installed.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Duke57 for the massive wait but it is the injection pump. Actually that's not available anymore. I've traded it and another for a Sandrail/Dune Buggy. Was thinking about putting it in a F-600 but then this deal came along and I'm a sucker for projects.... that or insane (the voices in my head haven't decided).