6.9 IDI in International 1654

NorthernMaverick

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
New member here with a different question. I've been reading a lot on the 6.9/7.3 forum and trying to gain general info.
We have a 1986 International 1654 with the 6.9L motor in it.
As of last week we have a dead cylinder and will now be doing motor work (valve work we think, maybe piston) to it.
So far, most part stores computers/ books can find parts by looking up the same year f250 or 350 and using the 6.9 motor. Only exception has been the starter. Glow plugs, injectors, and the lift pump has all been the same.
My question now is, does anyone know if a rebuild kit, heads, valves, or other internals will be different than that used in the F series pickups? We haven't found a data tag on the engine yet, so if anyone could point out the location of it, that would help a lot.

Thank you

gandalf

Reaction score
I don't know whether there will be a full data tag on the engine. I don't recall ever seeing one on one of these engines. There should be a bit of information on the driver's side valve cover. Not much, but maybe a bit. If Ford did not put a data tag on the engine for that particular application, probably the best you can do is to provide the engine serial number.

You'll find that a bit toward the driver's side of the Injection pump gear tower, down on the block, maybe just a slight bit toward the rear. You can see it in the picture below. Give us that number and some one here can tell you a moderate amount about the engine.
You must be registered for see images attach

NorthernMaverick

Reaction score
The stamped number on the casting is:
6.9D M2 U2 89159
Any info would sure be appreciated. Thanks

gandalf

Reaction score
You found it. Are you sure you got the entire number? Could there be more off to the right? The configuration is different from what I've seen before. The "6.9D" is normal, and the "U2" is normal, but I don't recall ever seeing an "M2" before.

My '86 F250 has 6.9 U2 followed by 8 digits. Therefore I can't answer you with any certainty, though I suspect the internals of the engine are the same as you would find in an F series truck.

Hopefully some one with greater knowledge will have more information.

NorthernMaverick

Reaction score
Here is a pic with it all cleaned off.
No more numbers past what I posted, just what looks like a * to me at the end. Any idea of the year built or if this is the "newer" 6.9 block?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since your truck is a 1986, it most likely is the B (later) block. It would have been in Fords and this is an International, so I assume that it is. ADD: another way to tell that it's an International engine from the factory is by the light blue paint on it. The Ford engines were painted gray.

NorthernMaverick

Reaction score
Since your truck is a 1986, it most likely is the B (later) block. It would have been in Fords and this is an International, so I assume that it is. ADD: another way to tell that it's an International engine from the factory is by the light blue paint on it. The Ford engines were painted gray.

Then do you think the internal parts are still interchangeable with the F series?
Not a lot comes up under a International truck application.
I didn't think they would have built them different, but the starter was off a dt466. That kinda threw me off. Whole different bolt up and every thing. Seems strange to just change that one part.
This is our first Diesel truck so a lot of new stuff in the last year. Thanks for the help.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Then do you think the internal parts are still interchangeable with the F series?
Absolutely, 100%. The differences are all external. Yes, the starter is different (it's external) because the flywheel and the bellhousing are different (also external). The long block itself (oil cooler aside) is identical between Ford and International. I suppose that there may be one exception to the identical internal parts though. the oil pumps are the same, but the pick up tube is different. this is because Ford has a rear sump oil pan while International used a front sump. Naturally, there is a main cap bolt with a stud (Ford) to support the long pick up tube and, IIRC, Internationals didn't use this due to the short pick up tube.

NorthernMaverick

Reaction score
Absolutely, 100%. The differences are all external. Yes, the starter is different (it's external) because the flywheel and the bellhousing are different (also external). The long block itself (oil cooler aside) is identical between Ford and International. I suppose that there may be one exception to the identical internal parts though. the oil pumps are the same, but the pick up tube is different. this is because Ford has a rear sump oil pan while International used a front sump. Naturally, there is a main cap bolt with a stud (Ford) to support the long pick up tube and, IIRC, Internationals didn't use this due to the short pick up tube.

Ok. Will this make the bottom pan gasket different? Or are the pans the same shape on the sides? If we pull the bottom off should we change the gasket? Seems like I recall reading somewhere to reuse the old one. If we do need a new one, and its different than Ford, is like to track one down before we start. :)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
DO NOT use an oil pan gasket. These engines didn't use one from the factory and will leak if you do use one. All you need is a bead of RTV. To answer the question though, I believe that the oil pan gaskets are the same (still don't use one though). You always get one in every complete gasket set that I've seen. Also, as far as I know, the Fel-Pro complete gasket set comes with all of the gaskets that you need for either engine except for the intake gasket (valley pan) the oil cooler uses a different gasket between Ford and International on the front header, but the gasket set has both styles. They are easy to tell apart by their shapes.

NorthernMaverick

Reaction score
DO NOT use an oil pan gasket. These engines didn't use one from the factory and will leak if you do use one. All you need is a bead of RTV. To answer the question though, I believe that the oil pan gaskets are the same (still don't use one though). You always get one in every complete gasket set that I've seen. Also, as far as I know, the Fel-Pro complete gasket set comes with all of the gaskets that you need for either engine except for the intake gasket (valley pan) the oil cooler uses a different gasket between Ford and International on the front header, but the gasket set has both styles. They are easy to tell apart by their shapes.

Thanks. I take it by you not saying, the valley pan gasket is the same just not included in some kits. I'm glad parts will be easy to come by. Still haven't torn into it to check whether its valves or pistons/ rings.