6.9 engine harness meltdown 85 E350 really bad situation

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
This is really all you have to do with the controller. It doesn't need to be hooked up with a manual set up.

No idea honestly. Maybe you clip a wire or two? Maybe someone will chime in.

I was just pointing out that yes, that's the GP controller and pigtail.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can just unhook the plug from the controller. That's all you have to do. Assuming that it works the same way as the ones in the trucks do. I don't even have a controller on my engine. It works just fine with only the relay on the fender.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You can just unhook the plug from the controller. That's all you have to do. Assuming that it works the same way as the ones in the trucks do. I don't even have a controller on my engine. It works just fine with only the relay on the fender.

Oh, I thought you were asking, not stating. No idea why I thought I saw question marks. :joker:

899ccs

Reaction score
okay damn, all my glow plugs are open and they were all unplugged, probably bad controller failing to always hot. 'putting in new zd1a plugs
I believe that I can jump the glow plug relay hot post to one of the small posts, then run a wire from other small post to a momentary switch in the cab. Ground the other side of the momentary switch. This should give me manual control of the glow plugs. My question is do I leave the original controller plugged in to the harness or not? It was always plugged in but every one of the glow plugs were disconnected. Also when I turn on the key there are two terminals of my 8 terminal harness connector which connects to the glow plug harness that are pulsing? Is the latching relay?

Last edited:

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can wire the solenoid that way. Be sure you remove the ground to the small post. You could also run power from the cab to the relay via a switch and hook where the purple wire is on the relay. I don't think there is anything else controlled by the controller so it can be disconnected. If it's stuck in the on position, you will have power on the purple wire on the relay that doesn't shut off.

The relay is not latching. How fast are these wires pulsing? What color?

899ccs

Reaction score
the wires indicated by arrows ..I am color blind so the color looks red in photos on the smaller wire on right. Seems to be more purple
in real time. The left wire in photo is green?? They both pulse slowly with key on.
You must be registered for see images attach

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are opposite the fat orange ones for the glow plugs? They are red with white and white with red looking at my truck. I'm sorry I'm not in a place I can trace them.

@franklin2 always has some wiring diagrams. Any idea on those? It sucks Ford breaks them down by system instead of location.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Glow plug relay:

Starter relay:

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glow plug relay:

Starter relay:

Wanna bet neither of those is any more than 100 amps?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. The standard Ford relay is 100 amps.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yep. The standard Ford relay is 100 amps.

The aftermaket GP one says 200A, but the one review says you have to add a wire from "I" to ground. It's the same one that bolts on to the 7.3 style controller, which is why I guess.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../ford/e-350-econoline?q=glow+plug+relay&pos=0

And I found another error/problem with Oreilly's database for 6.9 parts. It says "Part Doesn't Fit 1985 E-350 Econoline" about this starter relay:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...85/ford/e-350-econoline?q=starter+relay&pos=0

When you search for starter relay, it says no results. I found it by looking it up when set to my 87 F250 6.9.

But when you look in the compatibility area down below, it says:

E-350 Econoline Base with engine V8 - 6.9L 420ci DIESEL MFI vin 1 - 2 valve OHV 1984-1985*

Well, I have my RV set as...

1985 Ford E-350 Econoline Base - V8 - 6.9L 420ci DIESEL MFI vin 1 - 2 valve OHV

:dunno

It lists XL as being compatible too down below, not just base. But vehicle set to XL... same thing.. not compatible. No amps listed on it either.