6.9 Build-up

DeadMan

Reaction score
Been lurking around here for a while, thought it might be time to chime in.. I found the site below when I put together a 429 for my mud toy. Haven't checked to see if they produce it for the idi yet, but it may be the ticket to drop compression...

http://www.headgasket.com/gaskets.html

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the miles, I was told by PO he replaced the engine with one from an 83. Thats about all I know about it.
No custom parts on this one, at least not on the bottom end, its gettin studded and ported, possibly milled pistons but I gotta see where my $$$ has to go first. I'm payin for this from selling parts from the 86 and 87, so as I get things sold I'll buy more for this one.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I think pistons being milled would be cheaper than the new rods. However, lighter/stronger rods would be better. I am not one to cut the length of the rods as it has bad juju in a gasoline engine. Higher piston/bearing speed is bad when you add boost. It also shortens the time the piston stays parked at TDC which is not anywhere near as good as what you can do with a milled top with boost.

SWS

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted them and this was the responce:
I have the file on CAD for the ford 7.3 diesel but, not this one.
I can likely make this but, would need the CAD file. If you know someone that can make the CAD file for you you could save about $90.00 in setup fee if they email it to me. The gaskets would be $105.00 each ($210.00 for the set for thickness upto .054").
Not a bad price really, FelPro gaskets are over $50ea, Just need to find someone that can do a CAD file.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i can do that, what do you need it from autocad, pro-e or solidworks:D

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Updates? I really want to see what your "before" and "after" of the porting looks like.

SWS

1991idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to more updates.

Also wondering if this went anywhere, would be an inexpensive and efficient way to drop compression for more boost. I have been debating pulling the heads off my project motor (studs, port) and this could convince me :)

i can do that, what do you need it from autocad, pro-e or solidworks:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well if I did this correctly you can see the before and after porting on an exhaust outlet.

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 30

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I know.... Working on a tank heater for the dually and a bed crane and an injector pop tester... I hope to get rollin on this again soon. At least I did clean the intake the otherday. LOL

RedTruck

Reaction score
Wait a minute...back the truck up.

Gary, is that your first post with pictures? Come on now, lets get a picture of that back seat. LOL

Did you use the gasket as a template for the exhaust porting?

Thanks,

Paul

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Steve and i talked a little about this and i havent got any material to draw up -yet.:D

just thought i would throw out there, even if someone has a hand drawing with dimensions i can re-create it in digital format. other wise i need to get my hands on a set of head gaskets to measure out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes it tissss.....:D I'm a happy guy.....:D I have several others that may be of interest....Well that didn't work....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We will try again....There ya go... One pic is the raw intake port and the other two are the exhaust posts before and after from the block side. Yes I used the exhaust manifold gasket for a template. In the pictures you can see how far off center the ports were and how ruff they were. These were offshore imported heads. I was told they were from India but I bet they were China. The Chainese eads are really nice castings... Most of the time...

Attachments

• DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00018.JPG
    DSC00018.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: