6.9 block heater

mac

Reaction score
At what temp should I plug it in? It's startin to get real cold at night.

And on the same note, when should I be adding anti-gelling additives?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Start plugging it in when you start having trouble starting it in the morning... or maybe when it dips below 45?

Do not worry about anti-gelling as long as you keep cycling fuel through the tanks regularly, the pump stations change to winter blends as it gets colder.

Maybe keep some kerosene or additive to mix in case you have a tank full of summer blend when it gets cold.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
You could just plug it in all winter. It soooo much better for the motor to stay warm. Plus your heater works much faster

mac

Reaction score
Start plugging it in when you start having trouble starting it in the morning... or maybe when it dips below 45?

Do not worry about anti-gelling as long as you keep cycling fuel through the tanks regularly, the pump stations change to winter blends as it gets colder.

Maybe keep some kerosene or additive to mix in case you have a tank full of summer blend when it gets cold.

Well, the GP system doesn't work, so it needs a quick shot of ether and a bit of cranking before it fires up anyway.
I've been alternating the tanks, but now that winters coming I've been thinking about running off the front tank and keeping the rear full so I have some weight over the rear tires in the snow and only using that tank for emergencies.

You could just plug it in all winter. It soooo much better for the motor to stay warm. Plus your heater works much faster

See, the the truck doesn't fit in the garage (too long and almost too tall:thumbsup:) so in order to plug it in I'd need to park it parallel to the garage right outside the garage door and run a cord under the door. I live in a townhome and there are 4 garages including mine side by side, plus a few more up the alley. The alley is big enough to get around my truck without too much trouble, so plugging it in every now and then is fine, but if I have a vehicle there for any long period of time the neighbors start to get pissed.

mac

Reaction score
sticky situation... considering that the thing is huffing ether already, plug it in as often as you can

Will do. I think I remember reading something about 6.9s having a problem with cracked blocks from being plugged in too long... is that right or am I making crap up?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was going to post a thread on this tonight. I heard somewhere the A Block has more chances of cracking than the B blocks....IDK though.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I think it is mentioned in the tech section somewhere... If it is the stock block heater, do not use it. Get an oil pan heater or something.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was going to say, I've heard bad things about using the stock 6.9 block heater, as sometimes it will crack the block. Never used mine, and if I ever need it, I will just buy a magnetic one from Napa and put it on.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the stock block heater on my truck, not any issues as of yet? Hahaha crossing my fingers i guess.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Hey man,

I have a few thoughts:

1. Under the advice of the old timers on here: Don't use Ether unless you want to break things.

2. Repair the Glow Plug system (unless cash is super tight!!)

3. Plugging the truck in during cold weather is a good thing. There is debate about the temp that plugging in is necessary but I think anything below 50F is fine if you can afford to pay the electric bill!!!

4. Fuel additives are necessary if the temps make a major swing ie when its continously +20F and then drops to -25F in day or so you might need anti-gel or #1 diesel. I would NOT go as far as saying that the fuel stations are keeping up with winter fuel blends!!! When I travel tot he northland I make sure to have a dose of Howes or Power Service in each tank. If I am operating in the sub zero temps for any length of time I blend in #1 at each fuel up.

5. The blocks that had issues with cracking were '85 and older 6.9's (someone correct me if I am wrong or if I should be more specific!)

Those were in no specific order. Hope your rig works out this winter.....a diesel without GP's is a recipe for being stranded!!!

Thad

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well im an 85 just like you justin, i guess i will do my best to try and not use it. I know my engine says mid 84 on it so idk if im an early model engine or what. What would be the best way to determine which engine model i have, IE Rev A or B, etc...