6.5 GM fan on an IDI clutch

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Seeing as my truck was built with a 460 I have the small rad support and finding a decent deep support is near impossible around here so I'm not going that route. I had a early style short/wide diesel rad until last winter when it blew while plowing snow...In a mad rush we put in a mint 460 rad and finished my plowing that night...Almost a year later it's still in there...LOL....Working just fine with a pinned fan. I bought a brand new Allstar Performance aluminum racing rad for it (spring 2012 install)....I'd like to use the 460 fan shroud too if I can find a smaller fan to fit the IDI fan clutch. Anyone have a GM 6.5 fan blade laying around that they could measure or compare to a IDI fan? Any other blades that are 6 bolt that I may be able to work with??? This is not a must have repair - it's just something that bugs me when I open the hood and see the fan completely exposed....LOL.....I could make a custom shroud if all else fails.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do now....There goes that idea....LOL...I hardly ever work on the 6.5 turds, we only have a few left at work and they are money pits...:rolleyes:
that saves me a trip outside tonite;Sweet
even though it's a balmy 38* my knees and ankles don't like the cold.cookoo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go electric at this point.
especially over the fact you guys tend to remove the fans completely in the winter.(well at least Goofy does)

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
why don't you trim the lower support to fit the big diesel rad?

Thats what i did for mine, i had to build a lower mount for the radiator though.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
why don't you trim the lower support to fit the big diesel rad?

Thats what i did for mine, i had to build a lower mount for the radiator though.

Nah, I'll just make a custom shroud when I get around to installing the rad this spring. The stock rad seems to do the trick but I paid $260 for the new rad so I might as well put it in....LOL....I've never seen it over 210-215F loaded and working hard....I snapped the spring off the fan clutch though.....You should hear this thing at WOT plowing heavy snow....Sounds like an angry two stroker jimmy....LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online