4wd vacuum line

Tim McKay

Reaction score
Yup, another stupid question from me. I tried searching, must not know what Im doing as I did not find the answer. I bet this has been asked before.

This is a 1993 with the TTB, shift in the floor 4wd, and auto vacuum hubs.
Where does the vacuum line from the axle go? I was thinking the transfer case, to switch it on and off, but cant find a port. I doubt it goes to the vacuum manifold on the fender, as that would provide constant vacuum to the axle. Cant find the answer in the shop manuals I have either.

thanks in advance.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck doesn't have vacuum hubs, they are mechanically operated. The axle shaft turning inside the hub automatically engages it. There should be a vent hose on the axle housing, maybe this is the line you're referring to?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what 1993 had, but if the previous poster is correct, you have the same auto hubs my little ranger had. You should be able to get under the truck with the engine off, transfer case in 2wd, and grab the front driveshaft and try to turn it. It may turn half a turn before it locks up. It locks up because the auto hubs lock in and then it's hooked to the front wheels and wont turn anymore.

To disengage the hubs, back up in 2wd about 10 feet and they release. Some people hate these things. But they always worked on that little ranger the whole time I had it. If you do find yourself stuck, and stop and put it in 4x4, go easy on it for a little bit to make sure the hubs are locked in before you hammer on it. I have heard of people engaging the 4x4 and then putting the hammer down and suddenly the auto hubs lock in and it makes a big bang. That can't be good for it.

Tim McKay

Reaction score
Well Duh. What a waste of time. No wonder I couldn't find it. Im sure I was mistaking it with the newer trucks. Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking this was like the front hub needle bearings on 2001 F250. Just nothing written in the shop books about it.

maybe I will just go ahead and change them to Warn hubs, as they are not working now. Everything I read on Al Gores internet say dont bother trying to fix them, they are not reliable.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Al Gore (from my state) would know a LOT about being 'reliable'. :backoff-Flame Thr

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I had a truck with auto hubs, but I seem to remember that the ones with 5 screws holding the caps on were pretty good, but the ones with 3 were junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McKay

Reaction score
Hmm, these are the 5 screw version, but I know they do not work. I already ordered the Warns. Maybe I will rebuild them and put them on the shelf, or ebay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online