Vacuum, shifting, etc.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This truck I got seems to have a lot of new parts on it including the fuel system. But it shifts late and hard.
I've read lots here on the subject and I'll have a new (black stripe) adjustable vacuum modulator tomorrow.
I did pull the hose off the modulator and it wasn't wet with fluid but I'm going to change it out anyway since it looks old.
The vacuum pump looks new and I got 26inhg off the hose with the red stripe using my Mighty Vac as my gauge.
I'm not sure where all the hoses go from the vacuum "manifold" and if this truck still has a VCV or that has been changed.
I labeled some pics and I hope y'all can let me know what I'm looking at.
The red arrow in the 1st pic is where I think the vacuum line from the "manifold" is going to the IP. I didn't have time to pull the air cleaner to be sure.
I don't know what the thing on the right side of the 1st pic is (blue arrow) but there is a chance that is where the vacuum line is going from the "manifold" and not my red arrow.
The 2nd and 3rd pic has a hose I labeled ELEC and that's where I measured 26inhg from. I don't know what the thing it's attached to is. It has wires coming out out it.
Any/all help appreciated.

Attachments

• IP.jpg
    IP.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 20
  • T.jpg
    T.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 20
  • VacCan.jpg
    VacCan.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In picture #1, the blue arrow is pointing at your VRV. In picture #3, I believe that is your low vacuum indicator which will cause the "brake" light on your dash to light up if the vacuum is low.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I very much appreciate your time and knowledge. Thank you.
So my pump looks new, and is pulling 26. The VRV looks new?. So I have high hopes that replacing the VM might solve the shifting issue.
If not then I guess I have to buy a vacuum pump to adjust the VRV. Or can that be done with my Mighty Vac?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I used to work on these for a living, I would adjust the VRV by seat of the pants feel. I would drive the truck and adjust it until I felt that the truck shifted the way that it should. Was it right? Probably not, but it worked. Is there a better way? Most likely, but that's the way that I did it.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks. You've given me a plan for the weekend.
I hope you enjoy your weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online