4WD SWAP?

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 83 ext cab 4speed 2wd manual and a guy is selling a junk 88 7.3 auto 4x4. would i be able to swap the 4wd out and put it in my truck? or would that not work?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty Vague here...

Are they both SC trucks? Whats wrong with the 88? F250's or F350's what?

How about some very specific details then we can answer..

WAG ...sure why not big enough hammer and hot enough torch...anything can be put into anything!

JM2CW

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty Vague here...

Are they both SC trucks? Whats wrong with the 88? F250's or F350's what?

How about some very specific details then we can answer..

WAG ...sure why not big enough hammer and hot enough torch...anything can be put into anything!

JM2CW

WHAT IS SC?

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think it would be really hard to convert a 4sp manual to an automatic. with the solum and dash stuff and etc.. is it possible for the transfer case to bolt up to my trans?

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd venture a guess of No. The ZF you need a 4x4 trans to hang a t-case on it. The only thing that makes it 4x4 specific is the tail shaft. It's shorter, probably due to no need for extra splines for a slip yoke to travel. I'd bet the t-19 is the same, most 4x4 trans are that way from what I've seen of Ford and GM.

Best bet is to sell some of the parts your not going to use and get a manual 4x4 trans or to have some one swap out the tail shaft. Would be a good opportunity to gain OD though. If you want to keep it a stick.

Last edited:

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans and transfer case should be mostly a bolt in.
88 should be a C-6, no computer, just weld a bar between the clutch and brake pedal. Swap the column and linkage, or add an aftermarket "slap" shifter.
The cross member might need new holes drilled but maybe not, think it's only 4 - 7/16ish bolt so new holes aren't a big deal.
If it was a 1ton, it would be easier with a solid axle but the TTB, not so good. The springs change from coil to leaf and not sure if the center crossmember mounts are the same or not.