35 below zero

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck refused to start up this morning without being plugged in for a couple of hours. After it was plugged in for a few hours it fired right up. I just wanted to share t

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees....:eek::eek::eek: My damned freezer can't even get that cold. How you guys survive this is beyond me... My hats off to all that have to suffer this cold.... Its beyond comprehension...:hail:hail:hail

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
It's been -45*C here all last week and my truck starts fine being plugged in and it sat for three hours after running for an hour and barely started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
My truck has given me the finger the past 2 nights in these temps.

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
I had to ether my truck the other morning cuz my glow plug module wasn't working it started like nothing with a 2 second shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I worked in -5 with wind chill of -25 last night and I finally got mine to start up after a few tries and without the block heather. I should have had it plugged in at home but I honestly wanted to see how it would do on its own as temperatures never get this low in KY. You could tell it hated it though and barely wanted to get going.

I was still pretty happy with that though because my glow plugs, starter, injectors, and fuel pump are all factory originals so I am suprised they even work anymore worth a damn.

I think if I had a new upgraded starter, new upgraded 950 cc batteries, new glow plugs and injectors, and electric fuel pump I could start in just about anything within reason. I was definitely worried about if it was going to start or not I am not gonna lie!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget that noise! +50F is cold and +30 is frigid here! I wont even ride my quad if its under 80f. I get sick if i ride in weather below 80. I get cold sores on my lips and a 3 day fever.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 85 and 94 both started this morning at -5. I plugged the 94 in for a couple of hours so it was easy, but the 85 needed only two glow plug cycles. I was impressed.

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-45 most of last week and this week, and been -40 most days this winter so far here. Sunday it was -53 when I fired up the diesel to battle bumper to hood high drifts 20km down grid roads heading to town. Suppose to be within a few degrees from freezing this weekend though perfect time to go pick up the 4x4 diesel!

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was **** good down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit, after replacing my glow plugs it only took two or three cycles for the truck to fire up at 0 degrees, but now my batteries are slowly dieing so my truck is giving me the finger to, have to have it plugged in with my battery warmers on for it to even consider turning over

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thick my batterys are starting to crap out. They are about three years old. I wish that my group 31s had more than a one year warranty

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was amazed (only because there is a definite IP or injector or fuel issue (too cold to completely rip apart and determine in this weather since I don't have a garage to work in right now) ) that my truck stated as quickly as it did in the -20F weather + windchill this morning, but I plugged it in with the block heater and battery maintainer working. Am thinking of adding a tank heater as well and adding a switch block inside the cab to determine which components are powered instead of going under the hood and unplugging the ones I don't want to use.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had these issues, and with a set of batteries giving you the fits it is even worse. So that's when I first tried one of those battery maintainers designed to be mounted on the vehicle. You can get them in different amperage sizes of course, depending on how much of a loss your batteries have. Plus I have found that the vehicles with the higher numbered units handle the cold better. Right now I use a 1.5 amp Schumacher unit mounted onboard and it seems to work well on my 2 year group 31 batteries. This isn't where I got mine, but this is what I use on my winter truck -
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ci_sku=167823&gclid=CN3Ylemk7rsCFVBgMgodHywA2

There are other units, and one I would REALLY like to use (which I will comment on later after I give it a hard winter try) but I will mention that later. But to keep the battery topped off in winter, or at least reduce the discharge, gives it a bit of help in the starting process. I've never tried those battery blankets, so I can't comment on them, but would like to try them as well.

i was **** good down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit, after replacing my glow plugs it only took two or three cycles for the truck to fire up at 0 degrees, but now my batteries are slowly dieing so my truck is giving me the finger to, have to have it plugged in with my battery warmers on for it to even consider turning over

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for that link, i tried charging my batteries over night with a 2 amp charger and it didnt make a difference, might get that when i get my new batteries, and the blankets work great, i have an exstension cord with a 3 prong end, i plug in to that both battery blankets and the block heater, then plug the other end into my extension cord on the house, the blankets made a huge difference when the batteries were good, turned over like it was summer time, each battery blanket is 180 watts so that along with the block heater can bring the bill up but i have the timer so its not going all day long