$300 turbo is givin me a headache

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya there just doesnt seem to be any room to put it up there. ill try it again tomorrow, but it just didnt wanna go today. i mean, if i can get it to work thatd be great, otherwise its gonna get sold

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will fit in there:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Thats with a 2" BL, without it, I could see having to bend over the flange on the bottom of the cowl, but, thats standard fare for a turbo install.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should fit, it did on my manual trans truck. But I hadda BANG THE LIVING HELL out of the firewall to get it to fit. I also had to jack my cab up to get the flange past the firewall.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are those pictures of a ZF? im assuming it is. i just couldnt get around the clutch parts on the side of the tranny... i could be just having a major case of struggling

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
That's about what mine looks like with a T-19. had to cut/bend the lip on the firewall and it was a huge PITA to get the flange past the bend in the firewall...

All in all, it was worth it... :D

The downpipe was a PITA too....

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill adjust my cussword arsenal to throw at it tomorrow. gotta wire up some lights on my toolbox, a new set of accessory reverse lights, and some whelen tir3 led lights in the grill. lots to do and the turbo is at the bottom of the list.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won't work with a zf5. The uppipe you have does not bend enough to clear the top of the zf5 bellhousing. You will need to fab a custom uppipe. It's not hard just time consuming. It works best to remove the tunnel cover and gain access from inside the cab to get measurements. I have photos of the one I built when I swaped in a zf5. I can post later with them if you want.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id take the picture if its handy. if not dont go to any great lengths to try and take one. its probably just gonna stay on craigslist. probably gonna be more careful next time if i find another

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the photos that I took when installing my custom uppipe. I installed a 2 inch body lift at the same time to help with clearance and ease of installation. You will notice in a few of the photos the firewall flange is also bent out of the way.

Attachments

• PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 3
  • PICT0030.JPG
    PICT0030.JPG
    412.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PICT0033.JPG
    PICT0033.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PICT0040.JPG
    PICT0040.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 3
  • PICT0042.JPG
    PICT0042.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PICT0043.JPG
    PICT0043.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 4
  • PICT0046.JPG
    PICT0046.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 2

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that's good to know cause i also have an automatic banks turbo setup. i got it off just haven't installed yet. any1 know if its possible to to call banks n just order the down pipe to get it to work on mine?

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I don't see why that kit wouldn't fit...it runs the same way that my hypermax kit does up the driver's side... :dunno

EDIT: Mudder, I may have something for you... I have a spare pedestal from the old non-wg Banks kit that I had purchased originally for my rig before selling it. It is situated for the up-pipes being on the passenger side.

Here is a pic of the manual and auto pedestals for the non-wg Banks kit I used to have (manual on top, auto on bottom):

You must be registered for see images attach

Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, they are the same. :) In fact, I've never seen a Banks kit that snaked up the driver's side until now...

PM me if you are interested. Not sure if you can even get the up-pipes for this design though...

Last edited:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
now im completely confused haha

so, the pedestals are the same? or...

Now we are on the same page as far as confusion. LOL Like I said, I have never seen a Banks kit that snaked up the driver's side before until today. Maybe those are the early 6.9 Banks kits? :dunno

As far as I knew, the pedestals were the same but the piping was different. Dakotajeep on this forum, who actually bought my old Banks kit, had to 're-engineer' it to make the pipes work. Apparently the up-piping was for a manual and he had an auto trans. IIRC, he just had to widen the crossover to make it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes