3.55 gears sooo much better

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to swap my rear axle in my 94 today. I wanted 3.55s and my rear axle has been giving me fits. I dont think it was set up right when I had it rebuilt w/the detriot locker. Has alot of (I thing too much) backlash and droans on acceleration and cruisn on the freeway. I had a 3.55 here And I just swapped it in. It is like a new truck, soo smooth now and so nice on the freeway 70mph@1900 rpm. I dont tow a whole lot so I thing this is the ticket. Going to change the fluid and do the brakes. Need to get it timed, and get some BB's in place of those dps stage junks. O, and get my E-4od to stop going limp and I'll be sittn pretty for a while.I think My rear problem was part of my trans prob, I kept gettn a vss code and when it was droaning the speedo fluttered pretty good.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to swap my rear axle in my 94 today. I wanted 3.55s and my rear axle has been giving me fits. I dont think it was set up right when I had it rebuilt w/the detriot locker. Has alot of (I thing too much) backlash and droans on acceleration and cruisn on the freeway. I had a 3.55 here And I just swapped it in. It is like a new truck, soo smooth now and so nice on the freeway 70mph@1900 rpm. I dont tow a whole lot so I thing this is the ticket. Going to change the fluid and do the brakes. Need to get it timed, and get some BB's in place of those dps stage junks. O, and get my E-4od to stop going limp and I'll be sittn pretty for a while.I think My rear problem was part of my trans prob, I kept gettn a vss code and when it was droaning the speedo fluttered pretty good.

That just makes me want 3.55's that much more.

zpd307

Reaction score
with 3.55's, my 90 always seemed to be a pooch on acceleration. especially up hills... but the rpms were nice.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine on specific hills before and after swapping from 4.10 to 3.08s and the speeds the truck was able to hold was identical. The caveat in my case is that 2nd gear with 3.08 and 3rd gear with 4.10 have a VERY similar final drive ratio. Acceleration right off the line won't snap your head back with a trailer attached anymore but once you can get to the second half of 1st gear the laws of physics apply to keep the rate of acceleration the same once you are rolling in the powerband.

Simply put, you just shift gears a little later but you still have the same amount of horsepower to play with.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a turbo and 3.55s you have nothing to be concerned about unless you want to tow a house all the time. I was pretty happy with mine even before the turbo but now no way I'd ever want the 4.10s back. I imagine N/A 3.55s and a hilly area with lots of towing wouldn't work out for you all that well.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Congrats! I went to 3.55's last year, & still lovin' it. Using the one giant hill in my area that's on a highway as a test, I loaded my 700 lbs quad on my 16' flatbed trailer and pulled it... I was able to pull at the exact same speed with 3.55's as 4.10's (47 mph). Once off the hill the 3.55's make cruising night and day better.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The new truck I got has 3.55's and i love it!

If Towcat knew it had those gears he sure wouldn't have sold it to me! :sly

The truck is definately slower off the line, but i don't plan on towing anything real heavy so the noise/mpg advantages work for me!

;Sweet

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I've always been happy with the 3.55's

If I want fast, I'm gonna hop in a car that I can make go REALLLY fast.
If I want a truck that weights 7k lbs and can tow a 10k lb trailer and still get 15mpg, I already got that.

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after driving it fo a full day I love my truck again, until I got within 1 mile of home and my E4od limped out on me AGAIN! I got tach sensor and insufficient VSS input codes. What the heck! First time I ever got the tach code. I am about ready to swap in a zf5. But I love driving the truck the way it is now when it shifts right. I guess my rear swap didnt fix the vss code issue like i had hoped. Back to the drawing board.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after driving it fo a full day I love my truck again, until I got within 1 mile of home and my E4od limped out on me AGAIN! I got tach sensor and insufficient VSS input codes. What the heck! First time I ever got the tach code. I am about ready to swap in a zf5. But I love driving the truck the way it is now when it shifts right. I guess my rear swap didnt fix the vss code issue like i had hoped. Back to the drawing board.

If all else fails you could swap in a stand alone controller for the e4od. something like this one http://www.becontrols.com/products/tcs.htm

this is some interesting info. http://www.txchange.com/e4od.htm

Last edited:

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
I'll be the odd ball. I have 4.10's and a E4OD and love it. Currently N/A, but soon to change as I now have my turbo back from Russ :thumbsup:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be the odd ball. I have 4.10's and a E4OD and love it. Currently N/A, but soon to change as I now have my turbo back from Russ :thumbsup:

your not alone at being odd.thats not odd at all actually.
i went down in tire size,primarily to lower my bed for ease of loading wood/brush etc.
well when going to 225/75/R16 (29.3X8.9) with 3.55's its like changing the gears to 3.84 with stock sneakers.
this really rocks! i love the ratio as much as the 1.2" lowered truck.its a nice compromise between 3.55 and 4.10.not sluggish off the line with a good jag/towing,but not revving like crazy on the high side either.pretty slick setup.
i was just saying in another thread too;
im at 15.98 MPG over the course of 10 tanks so far. generally always hauling,and or towing.
thats with a large wind catching bed.im pleased.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.