3.08 gears installed, fuel milage is waaaaaay up

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped the 4.10 gears out and put in 3.08 gears in just over a week ago and here is what I found.

A little about my driving first. I was an over the road trucker and owner operator for 8 years with over 1 million logged miles of safe driving in the US and Canada, (I'll never tell how many were not logged:D ). I learned many years ago to short shift and skip shift when possible to save fuel and I still drive this way today shifting at about 1500 rpm.

Around town I run righ at the speed limit and on the highway I generally run about 63 in the granny lane because I hate fighting traffic and swapping lanes all the time to pass cars. Besides I'm retired and ain't in no hurry for anybody.

99.9% of my driving is flat land and empty, my heaviest loads are around 3000 - 4000 lbs roughly once a month and my heaviest tow is about 8000 lbs a couple times a year.

Now for the facts about the swap.
  • My fuel milage around town has increased from 15.50 mpg to 18.08 mpg:D .
  • 2.5 mpg increase in fuel milage makes me very happy, way better than expected.
  • I now use all 5 gears accelerating instead of 2nd, 4th and 5th.
  • about a 500 rpm drop per gear
  • 55mph is about 1400 rpm, 65mph around 1700
  • Total cost of the swap was $320 which will pay for itself in 108 gallons of fuel saved in less than 2000 miles at $2.94 per gallon
I'll be able to update this post when I take a road trip on friday and get to check my highway milage.

I'm happy with my decision as it fit's what I do well. If I was using this truck for hauling heavy loads, towing heavy trailers all the time or lived in hilly mountainous terrain I probably would'nt go higher than a 3.55 ratio.

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... that's good news for someone like me, who's dreading the fuel bills on my new purchase (89 F250, C6, 4x4, 4.10 gears). Nice to know that if it gets too bad I can look into a swap. Thanks!

AND... thanks for your service. 82nd, huh? :thumbsup: When I was a kid we lived in Belgium (Dad was stationed at NATO HQ) and we went to Bastogne a number of times. On a Boy Scout trip I camped in the same farmer's field that the 101st had in December '44. Pretty awesome place to visit!

Chris

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
who did you get the rings and pinnions from, and any chance you took pics of install? im thinkin about doing this and would feel better if i had an IDI Tech article to go by ;) :).

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your support Chris, it means alot to all vets.

I bought the gear set and small installation kit from J.T.'s Parts & Accessories http://www.ringpinion.biz/ for $305 shipped to my door. He didn't have them in stock when I ordered them on a thursday or friday but they were on my doorstep on tuesday, Very fast shipping.

In my opinion he seemed very knowlegable over the phone and I would buy from him again.

A note to those contemplating a gear swap: I recommend that you get the full installation kit that comes with the carrier and pinion bearings because they are expensive if by chance you need to purchase them individually because of an unknown problem or damage to the pinion bearing while removing it. I got lucky trying to save a buck but wouldn't do the small kit again knowing now what I forgot about because it was 20 years since I swapped a gear set.

Sorry but I didn't take pictures of the swap. It's actually a pretty easy job on the full floating 10.25" ford rear axle if you are mechanicly inclined. It's best done with 2 people when it comes to setting up and installing the shims.

It took us about 5 hours to finish which included stopping to eat lunch and other goofing around while laughing at one of out buddies on the tire machine that was fighting to mount a 26" tire on a custom wheel for a CAPRICE:rotflmao that they were going to install a lift kit on so they would fit. The guy paid $5800 for 4 - 26" wheels and tirescookoo .....Hell I only paid $5531 for my truck with custom wheels and new tires already on it which included tax, title tags and a $299 doc fee when I rescued it from a Dodge dealership

We did have the luxury of a lift for the truck so we could stand up and work, air tools, digital calipers and a dial indicator.

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  • is full installation kit the same thing as the master overhaul kit or u talkin about minimum install kit?
Neither

A minimum install AKA small install kit it just that. It will include the following for about $55 - $75;
  • pinion nut
  • pinion seal
  • pinion shims
  • pinion crush sleve
  • carrier shims
  • ring gear bolts
  • tube of RTV for cover sealant
  • paste & brush for checking gear mesh
A full installation kit with add this to the above for about $125 - 175; these bearings and races can cost around $150 separatly at a local autoparts store for a ford 10.25 axle when purchased separatly which is worth the $75 more you pay for it in my opinion. They are also not usually carried in store stock and have to be special ordered putting your project a day or two behind.
  • pinion bearing and race
  • carrier bearings and races
A complete axle master overhaul kit should also include the following
  • axle wheel seals
  • axle wheel bearings