1st gen, power pin Q?

motorgod7

Reaction score
I have a ****** 90 250 4x4 CTD, after I do all the usual mods to the fuel pump, Do I need a power pin? And at what point do I need to upgrade the lift pump? I got the truck to pull my car trailer, and buzz around town. I have a EGT guage, then I'll do the exhaust, then the fuel pump and hopefully put a IC on it. Am I missing anything?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have my stock pin turned to the deep side. It is ground on an eccentric, so there is a deep side, a shallow side and varying degrees in between. Pull it out and see where it is.
Travis..

TexasGunmetal

Diesel & Gun Smoke!
Reaction score
You can either get a Denny T Stage II power pin, or an Old Smokey power pin which is made by Mike. The Dynomite pin, bullydog pin, and Old Smokey are ALL THE SAME, it was designed by Mike. Bullydog copied it. I have read of quality control issues with the bully and dynomite pins. Mikes pins are heat treated to a certain spec, the bully and ddp pins have been known to groove from being soft.

The curve on Mikes Old Smokey is nice and gradual, it will provide good power and good mileage. Dennys pin is the more aggressive pin, designed for sled pulling and competition, your fuel mileage WILL drop unless you have a light foot.

motorgod7

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up, on the quality control issues. I think I'll try mikes pin when the time comes.

TexasGunmetal

Diesel & Gun Smoke!
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Dennys pin is good too. Made of hard stainless, it won't groove.
So you have a choice: Dennys or Mikes.
Dennys stage II is aggressive, Mikes "Old Smokey" makes good power but the design allows economy too.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I have Denny's pin in my '93. The difference in power all across the band is monumental. I have some mild mods of the truck. Before my max boost was about 17 psi and EGTs were topping out around 1000*. Now my boost will hit 21-22 and EGTs are a manageable 1100*. If I stomp on the go pedal I will get an intersection clogging cloud however if I am gentle I have no more smoke than before. Mileage for me has been about the same. I highly recommend Denny's pin.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats this pin you guys are talking about? Ive never heard of such a thing, do tell more.
I was born backwards but im coming around.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
IIRC I'm getting about 15-16 in town depending on how hard I stomp the smoke pedal. I've gotten as low as 14 when I would smoke every start and drive hard. Highway mileage seems to be about the same or maybe slightly better. Remember this is a '93 2-wd dually 5-speed.

motox - here's the link to Denny's site. http://www.dennytperformance.com/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7