1994 F350 idi..... with a gear vendor o/d and an exhaust brake

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that it's mostly the different gear ratios that literally tear the drivetrain apart. One set of tires is turning faster than the other set. They will fight each other until one wins.
My thought was if this was in mud, sand, or gravel the drivetrain might survive. I have known mud trucks to run different front/rear ratios and it is a non issue because they never see asphalt. If the truck broke maybe 4wd was being used in a high traction situatuon

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
My thought was if this was in mud, sand, or gravel the drivetrain might survive. I have known mud trucks to run different front/rear ratios and it is a non issue because they never see asphalt. If the truck broke maybe 4wd was being used in a high traction situatuon
I would guess the ratio between front and rear was not far apart if they were different and it rolled easily even off-road. Guessing there also was no locker or posi track on either axle so it was the very typical 2wd 4x4. So as long as one wheel on either axle could break traction no issue.

To your point if you run 4wd on dry pavement even with matching axle ratios. Hard turns can cause binding and then can cause damage if some of the wheels do not break traction. (The tires start to turn at different rpms in a turn, the more the front wheels are turned the greater the rpm difference gets.) Thus why many manufactures state only to use dedicated 4wd in wet/snowy/off-road conditions where the tires can skid/skip/hop in a sharp turn.

Those with a viscous coupler (Automatic or full time 4wd high) either engage during the times when the rpm between driveshafts differs within a range of rpms, or allows for them to slip. (Rotate at different rpms.) Or both. Thus still delivering enough torque that gives power to both axles, allows for rpm differential between axles, but does not allow enough torque/pressure to overcome and break the drivetrain. VW, Audi, GM, and others offer this in different variations.

Back in the 80’s I bought a old Bronco. The PO hacked it together and one hack was putting a replacement axle in the front. But the numnut did not put the same axle ratio in as the rear.(Did not mention that either.) So with the large off road tires it fought itself front and rear and locked up on pavement when you put it in 4wd. Never made it to the dirt till that was fixed, but I would not have off-road it that way as it was not intended to be.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
I have a vague recollection that the US Gear/Doug Nash overdrive unit is different. My memory tells me that it mounts between the engine and the transmission. If that is the case, you can engage it in in all gears, both high and low range, 2x4 or 4x4, since the change is affected prior to the transfer case.

US Gear/Doug Nash Overdrive

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was also the "Ranger two-speed" from Advance Adapters I think, that mounted between the engine and the transmission, and was fully mechanical (shift lever). Its only disadvantage was that it moved everything in the driveline seven inches backwards.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Sounds like the US Gear and Advanced Adapter both prevent the above from happening due to better placement. (Pre tranny/transfer case.)

I would think the GV unit is fine as long as it does not engage in 4wd. But begs the question of user error (Turned it on or forgot to turn off the auto engage feature.) or does severe jarring/bouncing/shaking allow it to engage unintentionally?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is GV Web site. Lots of good info oh how to operate and install. Pricey little buggers.
I have one I found under an 89 F-250 6.9 behind a C6.

It states to use in 2wd only.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I didn't even go into this because I can't really see a situation where you'd be in mud, sand, or gravel and still need the overdrive. If so, it wouldn't happen very often and ,by far, the VAST majority of people wouldn't ever see that situation.
To your point if you run 4wd on dry pavement even with matching axle ratios. Hard turns can cause binding and then can cause damage if some of the wheels do not break traction. (The tires start to turn at different rpms in a turn, the more the front wheels are turned the greater the rpm difference gets.) Thus why many manufactures state only to use dedicated 4wd in wet/snowy/off-road conditions where the tires can skid/skip/hop in a sharp turn.
To add to this, if you just have your hubs locked in, you can feel the pull on pavement. That's without your transfer case being in 4X4.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a vague recollection that the US Gear/Doug Nash overdrive unit is different. My memory tells me that it mounts between the engine and the transmission.

There was also the "Ranger two-speed" from Advance Adapters I think, that mounted between the engine and the transmission, and was fully mechanical (shift lever).
Are you guys sure of this? I think it would be rather difficult and extremely expensive to put any type of adapter (od or otherwise) between the engine and transmission. You'd have to attach to the flywheel/flexplate and still have it attach to the input of the transmission too.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you guys sure of this? I think it would be rather difficult and extremely expensive to put any type of adapter (od or otherwise) between the engine and transmission. You'd have to attach to the flywheel/flexplate and still have it attach to the input of the transmission too.

The ranger would have only been used in the T-19 equipped trucks in the IDI's. They went between the removable bell housing and the transmission. A ranger would not work with a ZF-5, C-6 or E4OD, due to the integrated bell housing.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, Scott. I thought it was clear that when I said "between the engine and transmission", I meant that the 2-speed auxiliary transmission bolted to the bellhousing and the original transmission bolted to the auxiliary.
I've never seen one with an integral bellhousing either.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this searching for a Ranger gear Splitter.

Found this comparing the Ranger, GV and Warn OD units.

For you that are shiftless, probably too many sticks to remember which one`s to grab...;Poke

Edit: found this searching on the Ranger.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Ranger_Overdrive3-1.pdf

Goat

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
Sounds like the US Gear and Advanced Adapter both prevent the above from happening due to better placement. (Pre tranny/transfer case.)

I would think the GV unit is fine as long as it does not engage in 4wd. But begs the question of user error (Turned it on or forgot to turn off the auto engage feature.) or does severe jarring/bouncing/shaking allow it to engage unintentionally?
Some of the US gear set ups (also doug nash dne2) were installed after the transfer case.....like in place of the carrier bearing. That obviously cant be used with 4x4.

Dont think there is anyway for the GV to engage without voltage being applied to the solenoid

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Some of the US gear set ups (also doug nash dne2) were installed after the transfer case.....like in place of the carrier bearing. That obviously cant be used with 4x4.
My DN2 mounts to the back of a C6, but it's only 4X2 so I guess it almost doesn't count.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I have a vague recollection that the US Gear/Doug Nash overdrive unit is different. My memory tells me that it mounts between the engine and the transmission. If that is the case, you can engage it in in all gears, both high and low range, 2x4 or 4x4, since the change is affected prior to the transfer case.

US Gear/Doug Nash Overdrive
I have a US GEAR Exhaust brake for years & like it!! Works better for me at least 26-2800 RPM
I was thinking US Gear & D Nash were separate companies, or did they merge at some point?
I remember back in bout '92 I was headed down to Tx, run up on a guy stranded out in road with a Doug Nash OD that was locked up pulling an RV. I messed round with it underneath it & got it unlocked somehow. Don't remember but seems it was automatic, might been a manual. The DNash was behind the tranny.

Used to have a friend up here in Or I run round with that a '70's something model Ford with about a 460 or so. Had a splitter behind/between engine Tranny that was bout 5-6-7" thick. IIRC it was a Ranger something name, not sure now.... too long ago.

Doc Niver

Reaction score
To bad Its 4x4,
Bought a 90 ext cab f250 with a gear vender zf5 with a driveline retarder (electric brake) and a ats turbo. with 140,000 for 4200.
Hate the zf but love the rest of the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online