1994 F350 idi..... with a gear vendor o/d and an exhaust brake

flyarmyguns

Reaction score

Man what a cool truck.... I just saw it on CL and thought I'd turn you all on to it... Rare bird.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
IDI crew cabs are nice and you do not see them for sale often. Low mileage too.

But $14,500 is a lot of money for an IDI. I only paid $2,000 for my 88’ extended cab with 168k miles and four years ago . I only paid $7,000 for a 2007 F150 super crew cab with 160k miles 1.5 years ago. (13 years newer.). So not sure why he is pricing like it’s a newer Powerstroke.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Nice rig, but heck of price ...
I paid 5k for the same truck with 205k and a zf5.
Then again, I don't think prices will ever come down..

Rock

CharlesG

Reaction score
It's a steal compared to this one.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay that, especially with the body lines. Check that angle between cab and bed. And it has that gross blue tint thats probably scratched to heck. And the bra is broken, looks great.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
The exhaust break caught my eye. I’ve seen a fair amount of debate about whether we could use these on an IDI…. Not that they’re available anywhere anyhow, but it’s interesting to see one being used.

Black dawg

Reaction score
It is crazy that the price doesnt seem that out of line.........a few years ago half that would have been high.
Body lines raise some questions, and very strange to run a gv with and e4od.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The exhaust break caught my eye. I’ve seen a fair amount of debate about whether we could use these on an IDI…. Not they’re available anywhere anyhow, but it’s interesting to see one being used.
Used and abused and exhaust brake on my truck for many years, and seen several others with them.

Never had any problems using any of them......mine would blow some white smoke if turned on at pretty high rpm until the revs came down some.......always made me wonder if the exhaust valves were actually not sealing for a split second and fuel was going out the exhaust. After I noticed that I just didnt use it above about 2800.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you just purchase an exhaust brake and install it? I have virtually no first hand experiance with them so I wouldn't know

gandalf

Reaction score
I have a question about the use of a Gear Vendors OD with a 4x4. In the picture it looks as though the GV is installed after the 4x4 transfer case. That would mean that the GV would effect the rear wheels only. There would be no way the GV could backfeed the different gear ratio through the transfer case. That would mean that you could have the GV OD in 2x4, in both normal and GV OD ranges. When in 4x4 you could use the GV only in the normal range.

Am I right?

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have a question about the use of a Gear Vendors OD with a 4x4. In the picture it looks as though the GV is installed after the 4x4 transfer case. That would mean that the GV would effect the rear wheels only. There would be no way the GV could backfeed the different gear ratio through the transfer case. That would mean that you could have the GV OD in 2x4, in both normal and GV OD ranges. When in 4x4 you could use the GV only in the normal range.

Am I right?
Yes, the overdrive ratio of the GV can only be used in 2wd. It is amazing the stuff that will break when they are engaged when 4x4 is also engaged. Have seen a d44 front crunched when the gv was switched on while in 4x, and on another truck have seen a d70 rear that was broken.....the front 60 on that lived.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the overdrive ratio of the GV can only be used in 2wd. It is amazing the stuff that will break when they are engaged when 4x4 is also engaged. Have seen a d44 front crunched when the gv was switched on while in 4x, and on another truck have seen a d70 rear that was broken.....the front 60 on that lived.
Was this on asphalt or something? Or is it just that big of a difference?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that it's mostly the different gear ratios that literally tear the drivetrain apart. One set of tires is turning faster than the other set. They will fight each other until one wins.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I believe that it's mostly the different gear ratios that literally tear the drivetrain apart. One set of tires is turning faster than the other set. They will fight each other until one wins.
IDIBronco is correct. The same thing would happen if you where doing 30mph with a 3.55 from end and a 4.10 rear end and slammed it into 4wd. Something has to give because the drive shafts would want to spin at a specific rate together, now the front drive shaft wants to turn at a different rate that than the rear. Since the tires on either axle do not want to slip/peel out that much. The transfer case, a driveshaft, a pinion, a couple axles, or something has to break or the truck stops.(Or both!)

If you were stopped, put it in 4wd, took off you would stall the truck or notice it was locking up. Likely not breaking anything because your at zero mph and applying a low amount of torque at say 1,000rpm.

It sounds like the GV might have automatically went on (I believe I read you can problem to come on at a specific speed.) or the driver out of habit flipped the switch on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965