1994 F350 idi..... with a gear vendor o/d and an exhaust brake

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
To bad Its 4x4,
Bought a 90 ext cab f250 with a gear vender zf5 with a driveline retarder (electric brake) and a ats turbo. with 140,000 for 4200.
Hate the zf but love the rest of the truck.
Why do you consider 4x4 a drawback?
Also curious what it is you hate about the zf5 over other manual transmissions.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How many times did you slam you left foot into the floor?
I've done that. My 1995 E s c o r t had a 5 speed in it. I had a 1975 F150 with a 429 and a C6 at the same time. After driving the cat for a while, I was pulling up to a stop sign in the truck and I reached for the imaginary clutch pedal. Even though I missed the clutch pedal, the truck still stopped just fine. I only did that once. I even did sort of the opposite one time too. After driving the truck all weekend, I got into the E s c o r t and reached down beside the steering column to grab the ignition switch to start it.

Doc Niver

Reaction score
Why do you consider 4x4 a drawback?
Also curious what it is you hate about the zf5 over other manual transmissions.

Rock
Had a lot beter luck out of e4ods after a proper rebuild. I've driven manuals and autos going on 45 yrs and the zf5 has not held up with proper maintenance
As well as others.
I drive over 120,000 miles a year and so far I've only gotten 50,000 out of 2 of them.
As far as the 4x4 it's just one more thing to go wrong. I don't drive where I need it

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found the ZFs to not last as long as the top loaders but the extra MPGs are nice. 4wd is something most people that think they need it truly don't need and would be better off spending money on tires. But I tend to go off-road a fair bit so it's a nice luxury feature.

Black dawg

Reaction score
It is very hard for me to picture needing a truck, but not needing 4x4......in my world anyway....

2 wheel drive stuff around here, is body parts and engines.....

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
It is very hard for me to picture needing a truck, but not needing 4x4......in my world anyway....

2 wheel drive stuff around here, is body parts and engines.....
Yup, same here. Not much use for a 2wd truck on a farm....

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On the flip side, I had trucks for several years before I got my first 4X4 in 2005. I don't want to be without a 4X4, but I only need one. My other two are 4X2, but they can stay that way.

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I pull my Jeep with my 4x2 out to open land then 4x4 in that. Not much fun driving a lifted jeep YJ for a couple of hours. It’s not as fun 4x4ing on rough or challenging trails in a full length full size pickup truck. But I would not get too far down the trail in my 4x2 F250.

But a farm or ranch truck is far more capable with 4x4. But my cousin, a farmer, might impress you with just what a 4x2 with all terrain tires can do. Buys a new used truck every 3-5 years, kills them, really just kills them. About half have been 2wd, generally spends 4-6k so often that looks like a 2wd.

Just remember a Jeep can go almost anywhere. A rental car can go anywhere!

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
The kind of terrain makes a huge difference...
I've had a few 2x4 trucks, and they're just fine pulling trailers around on the gravel or pavement, but the minute you go off-road with a trailer and have to make a tight turn or back up to a coral, it's all over. We have nothing but red clay dirt here, and when there is any kind of ground moisture it turns into quicksand..
The most important part though, is driving down hill, with or without a load, if you don't have 4x4 you'll be going for a ride down the hill...been there too many times..lol..
I realize everybody has different needs for their trucks, but since I use mine every day (including the winter) and spend just as much time off road as on, I couldn't be without 4x4..
Also the low range is invaluable to me, for what I do..

Rock

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99% of my driving on on pavement, yeah there have been a few times maybe a 4x4 would have been good, like Hwy 50 (west of Lake Tahoe) going over Echo Summit when it snows. 4x4 ok, if not have to chain up. Some times even 4x4 have to chain up if icy enough. Summit is almost 7500ft and steep and 2 lane.
There have been 4 times in the last 8 years I had to throw on the cables to get over the hill. Only takes 5 minutes.

I can not see having a 4x4 for daily driving, (except to be cool) and getting lower mileage.

Goat

Black dawg

Reaction score
Even if I could do without having 4x4, a transfer case would absolutely be needed for me, as the first and reverse ratios in the manuals in these trucks is a joke. (when actually used as a truck)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Even if I could do without having 4x4, a transfer case would absolutely be needed for me, as the first and reverse ratios in the manuals in these trucks is a joke. (when actually used as a truck)
That's why I'm putting a transfer casein the Ex Wife and why I use the one in the Blue Truck SO many times. Every time that I back into my driveway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online