1993 7.3 IDI fuel filter, first time

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
So I ordered in my Motorcraft fuel filter from Ford and I have my diesel kleen ready to go. I have never done this on this diesel before. And from a lot of what I've read even if I filled the filter up with diesel kleen before I put it back on I will probably still have to crack the injectors. Is that what I should expect? Or is there another method that will install this fairly cleanly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They way I do it. To help prevent needing to bleed the air out of the system. Start the truck up and get it warm. Shut it off. Then remove old filter and top off new filter with diesel to the top of the filter. You will need to fill the filter on the outside with the small holes not the center. Reinstall new filter. Get in truck hold the throttle 1/4 way and fire her up. Ive done it this way on 4 separate trucks and not had a problem with starting it back up.
If it seams like it is having a miss after you have done this then crack each line individually and bleed the system of air.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you fill the filter before you install it, you shouldn't have to crack the injector lines. When you start the engine, hold the throttle at around 1200 rpm's or so. It will start on the fuel in the injector pump, but will have some air go through from the filter. Sometimes it will die if you let it idle, that's why you hold it higher rpm's. It will run rough while the air works it's way out, but shouldn't die as long as the filter is full. When it runs smoothly, you can let it idle. It's a good idea to let it run or even drive it a little way afterward since a little pocket of air can get trapped in the filter. Hope this helps.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pre Filling the filter with most any fuel solves most if not all air issues. A warmed up engine helps plus running above idle will tell you whats working. Just DO NOT pour the fuel in thru thu the large hole in the center of the filter. That fuel has not been filtered and goes directly to the injection pump.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned previously, the engine is far more forgiving to restart quickly after a filter change if it is WARM. Full filter and keep your foot on it until it is done burping.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there, with 2001 XT year model but wish to change from petrol to diesel. Please any advice.

Are you sure your in the right forum?? Are you looking to get into a 6.9 or 7.3 idi?? IF not then tis might not be the right forum you are looking for.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read to fill the filter with diesel kleen, is this recommended?
I would NOT put diesel in it directly, since it's not filtered. Something in a nice small bottle, such as Diesel 911, should be clean enough that you wouldn't have to worry about it. But the FSM explicitly instructs NOT to put diesel fuel into the filter before installing it, specifically stating that it's to avoid introducing unfiltered fuel.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had to touch my lines,even after running out of fuel. Sure it may spit and stumble a few minutes but it clears up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online