1992 5 spd question

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at trading my toyota for a 92 f-250, 5 spd. Finally got to check the ford up close today. This thing is clean, can tell its been taken care of. Does leak fuel at the injector caps, where he tried to replace the o-rings. Anyways the 5 spd is hard, well harder to shift than my 89 was. Its almost like the synchronizers are going bad in each gear? It does go into gear, just seems to be harder to shift into each gear than my 89 was. Reverse, you have to kind of play with the pedal to get it in reverse sometimes, not all the time. Wonder if a a fluid change would help on this problem? Clutch pedal is good, no slippage when in second and riding the brakes hard and giving it throttle. Feels like it disengages completely, no resistance to rolling back down hill when in 1st and stopped,then let off brake...rolls backwards fine with no resistance. Truck has 294k on, good oil pressure etc. Pretty sure I am going to do this, but just wanted thoughts on the tranny if possible.

Thanks

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
With that many miles it sure does sound like the syncro's. But before discrediting the syncro's, check to see how the bushing it on the clutch pedal. Could just be worn not giving enough movement. Changing the ATF cant hurt and u will get an idea of what it looks like.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reverse issue is something that comes up not uncommonly. My ZF5 needed a new reverse slider, synchro, and gear to get it to function properly. That was an $800 bill. If the synchro's are bad on all the gear sets, that bill will be higher. In my experience, ZF5 parts aren't cheap. But, I'd change the fluid and give the clutch system a good once over for anything causing resistance. But, it my be in the trans itself.

Heath

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the clutch hydraulics as well. Hard going in every gear sounds like things aren't totally disengaging at the clutch. It only takes a little drag to make for hard shifting. It could still roll.
I have never driven a zf with EVEN syncro wear. It always seems to wear differently in different gears.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ask the owner if he has had the transmission rebuild. From what you saying it sounds like a nice new tight transmission...

I had my 5speed in my mitsu 3000GT vr-4 rebuilt a while back and took the car back to the shop for the same things your discribing. Every gear was tight and hard to get into, reverse was even worse then all the rest.
of course i could be mis understanding your word *hard* as what i considered hard... my trans was so tight *hard* it made it very difficult.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
x2 on the clutch. Rebuilt the clutch master on my supra, but didn't re-adjust the rod. It wasn't quite disengaging all the way, and did exactly what you're describing. Coasted/rolled just fine, didn't feel like it was dragging, but did not want to shift.

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you adjust the hydr. clutch setup on these trucks? It still has the stock setup with DM flywheel. No recent rebuild of tranny that he knows of. He is the 2nd owner and 1st owner was mechinc friend of his. The going under the truck, its very clean, even a couple stickers on the tranny are still legible, which tells me its never worked hard enough to bget hot enough to melt the stickers away. I dont see any signs of fresh gasket sealer etc, so I dont really think the tranny has been rebuilt. These use ATF fluid foor the lube correct? If so why cant add some the lucas auto tranny conditioner in to when I change the fluid out?
I had an 84 f350 6.9 with the 4 spd with OD.It was hard to shift & howled bad. So loud you could not have a conversation in the truck going down the road. I drained a refilled 1/2 gear oil & 1/2 Lucas oil stabilizer,this was when the truck had 130K on it. About 5-10k miles later tranny shifted better & was quiet.Drained and filled 100% with the Lucas stabilizerr and ran it like that but with yearly changes to 443k miles when I sold ithe truck with out any further tanny trouble
Looks like we are going to trade Sunday as of right now. I really like the condition of this old truck and figure what the hell. I only have 1500.00 in the yota to date. Once i get the o-rings and jumper lines fixed, 1 st stop is muffler shop to remove the muffler and install a section pipe in its place.....love to hear that straght pipe bellow:D

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pondering a thought...if a guy has a bad ZF5 that needs an overhaul, how hard would it be to fit a 6 speed tranny from a newer 7.3 into these trucks? Different flywheel n clutch I imagine?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Its been discussed. It would be hard but I've been wondering if you had an input shaft made why it wouldn't work

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look under the dash...see the spot where the clutch rod comes through the fire wall from the master cylinder....follow that rod back toe the actuator arm and pin...should be a plastic busing in the EYE of the rod on the pin, if it's missing then the eye rides against the pin...and will wear both parts out.

I have seen it where a eye wears through completely and the rod falls off the pin (more precisely what was left of the pin) on the tow truck I used to drive...

press the clutch pedal by hand and see if there is any play in that actuating arm/pin/eye setup and if so then that is most likely your issue.

Hope this helps

JM2CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes