1989 F-350 7.3l idi NEED HELP!!!

smokin90

Reaction score
Im working on a 1989 7.3l and i went to check the blow by and when i took the oil cap off a strang noise is coming out of it. it sounds like a high piched clanging noise and you can hear it in the exhaust as like a tinging what do you all think

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
do you hear a chuffing sound from the exhaust like air rushing past something???? If so check the valves for valve guide wear.... it's a common thing on these IDI's that the valve guides wear allowing the valves to tip and if let go - the head of the valve comes off - then it's new engine time.

smokin90

Reaction score
ok thanks and another thing about it when you rev it up or just snap the throttle and then let it come back to idle it will shut off or bog way down and i just changed the fuel filter

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok thanks and another thing about it when you rev it up or just snap the throttle and then let it come back to idle it will shut off or bog way down and i just changed the fuel filter

The metering valve in the IP is sticking. It may get better with a healthy dose of fuel lube, it may not. Either way, it is a sign that the IP is long in the tooth and will need replacement in the not too distant future.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what brand fuel lube would you use and where can you get another IP for it and how much

Howes and Power Service are available at any truck stop or autoparts store. As far as an IP, Mel (Agnem is his handle hear) can get you a quality rebuilt for a reasonable price. You can get an OK rebuilt other places, but remember, you get what you pay for. If you are going to replace the IP, I'd replace the injectors and return lines/caps/orings at the same time.

Heath

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100000 miles is about how long they last. i would do the ip and the injectors at the same time. most of us like bb injectors

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the sticking metering valve issue. In my case it was because (I think) the motor sat for 1.5 years without running. It cleared up by raising the idle a little, a double dose of Diesel Kleen, and running the hell out of it. But I am aware that I am probably on borrowed time with my IP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert