1989 F-250 7.3 Project

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a lot of work tied up right there. How does the panel lip under the master cylinder look on the firewall? That’s a bad spot on the race truck, it’s got me considering cutting out the firewall completely.
Good
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side is about 80% done.
Keep in mind, none of the panels I ordered from LMC truck fit out of the box. So if you're not into a bit of fabrication be cautious.

I included some of the pile of what I cut off the panels. And my motto while installing this stuff was beat it till it fits and the sledgehammer is my english wheel.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wine. Risky for a spill while hammering. Nice choice
Agreed. Mrs. Hacked89 came home from work and threw 3 of my sweatshirts on (she hates the cold) and brought wine in the garage. I'm a bourbon man but cant say no to that.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to post a hundred pages of every little thing I do for the body work, but I thought you guys would be interested in this.

Besides what I mentioned that you cant expect the 'made to fit' panels to fit exactly without modification, another aspect is your truck will never rust in the perfect way for panel replacement.
This will leave many entry points for water and debris to get into the cab.
Since my last update with the large panels in, I've been fabricating up the smaller pieces that seal the inside from outside.

Here's one where I cut and made an 90 degree angle out of sheetmetal, then cut, pound, tack, pound, tack until you form it into place. Overall in the picture theres about 5 different pieces of metal just to start reforming the passenger steel which rusted away.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 - Section Complete

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you had to weld that little U piece onto the large floor pan piece. It came attached together as one piece when you got it correct? Just a mistake?

I bought the floor pan piece and the outer rocker piece from LMC. They both came together to form that lip that the rubber slides over.

P.S. I think I get it now. You didn't buy the piece that goes between the seat and the door. If I remember correctly, that had most of the lip that joins to the outer rocker.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you had to weld that little U piece onto the large floor pan piece. It came attached together as one piece when you got it correct? Just a mistake?

I bought the floor pan piece and the outer rocker piece from LMC. They both came together to form that lip that the rubber slides over.

P.S. I think I get it now. You didn't buy the piece that goes between the seat and the door. If I remember correctly, that had most of the lip that joins to the outer rocker.

Yea no mistake, what you said in your PS. If you look where I circled in red, that piece abruptly stops. Not sure what it's actually supposed to look like from factory so I've been redoing the sheetmetal to my own discretion.

Both driver and passenger side was just two big holes and no lip at all for the weather stripping when I started. The carpet was what was separating the drivers compartment from the street.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could stand on the ground and close the door behind me on the truck I was repairing. So I needed the panel you got, the outer rocker you got also, and the panel that runs down the complete side. That's the one that had the inner lip made onto it.

I know it's hard to cut those panels up, they are not cheap. But if you don't need the whole thing, no purpose in cutting the truck up to use it.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could stand on the ground and close the door behind me on the truck I was repairing. So I needed the panel you got, the outer rocker you got also, and the panel that runs down the complete side. That's the one that had the inner lip made onto it.

I know it's hard to cut those panels up, they are not cheap. But if you don't need the whole thing, no purpose in cutting the truck up to use it.
Yea that's SOP to only cut out what's bad and trim the panels. I never said I was cutting the truck up or cared about the repo panels. If I knew about what you are calling the panel that runs down the complete side I would have ordered it to save myself a good amount of time, but its water under the bridge now.

Atleast my LMC scrap pile has been getting alot of use.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust repair is done.
Moving along with the bodywork and prep.