1988 IDI Bronco

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My long term goal was always to have 1 car, 1 suv and 1 truck all running 7.3 IDI drivetrains. The first step in my goal was acquiring all three candidates, which took some time.

I just picked up the SUV.
I’ll use this thread to document it’s life leading up to the swap because the truck is being finished first.

- 1988 bricknose bronco
- kingpin d60 front
- GM 14 bolt rear
- 460 swap

You must be registered for see images attach

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite an interesting idea. Now why have a truck if the Bronco will have a 7.3 IDI?

I'll be watching this closely.

Never-Have-I-Ether

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite an interesting idea. Now why have a truck if the Bronco will have a 7.3 IDI?

I'll be watching this closely.

Never-Have-I-Ether
The truck will be for work and pulling a trailer and the bronco is for off roading, I need the short wheelbase the truck is too long and has a poor breakover angle.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My long term goal was always to have 1 car, 1 suv and 1 truck all running 7.3 IDI drivetrains. The first step in my goal was acquiring all three candidates, which took some time.

I just picked up the SUV.
I’ll use this thread to document it’s life leading up to the swap because the truck is being finished first.

- 1988 bricknose bronco
- kingpin d60 front
- GM 14 bolt rear
- 460 swap

That's a fine goal. I'll be watching too. My weird goal is a sports car, a luxury car, a gas bronco (which isn't a SUV, soccer mom's drive SUVs) a IDI bronco,a truck, and the tow truck. I'm actually there, except a couple aren't currently operational.

Nice bronco though, I'm a bit of a bull nose bronco fanatic......I have 3......

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My diesel bronco plan is to get a f250 2wd, cut the frame to length, and set my 84 bronco on its frame. I want the heavier frame and I don't want 4wd. I know that's strange, but I'm really not I to 4wd stuff I just like how broncos look.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First small mystery, 1988 bronco and the turn signal bulb sockets aren’t from a bronco? They are ones from the 80s mustang and small car.

You know how the IDIs use the flat spade like connectors. So does the bronco. This is using the 2357 bulbs.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First small mystery, 1988 bronco and the turn signal bulb sockets aren’t from a bronco? They are ones from the 80s mustang and small car.

You know how the IDIs use the flat spade like connectors. So does the bronco. This is using the 2357 bulbs.
Looks like you're going from a hacked 89 to a hacked 88 bronco! At least you're consistent.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

Maybe they were using up "old" stock of the harnesses. Our 83 Bullnose F-150 used the 1156/1157 (or maybe 21's)..... I never pulled a bulb out of the Brick's or OBS's we had......

I know that Ford would do that.... that 83 had an "82" 351 engine in it. We did a tune up on it, and bought Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor... the Cap and Rotor would not fit as they changed the design in 83... Our truck had the smaller "castle" looking cap and the rotor that was just came up and out to one side... the 83 (and our 85 302 van) had the larger "dome looking" cap with just the connectors sticking up, and the circular rotor that covered the entire inside of the distributor.... It also had the variable venturi carb with the plastic metering rods in it..... which was another fun item........

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they were using up "old" stock of the harnesses. Our 83 Bullnose F-150 used the 1156/1157 (or maybe 21's)..... I never pulled a bulb out of the Brick's or OBS's we had......

I know that Ford would do that.... that 83 had an "82" 351 engine in it. We did a tune up on it, and bought Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor... the Cap and Rotor would not fit as they changed the design in 83... Our truck had the smaller "castle" looking cap and the rotor that was just came up and out to one side... the 83 (and our 85 302 van) had the larger "dome looking" cap with just the connectors sticking up, and the circular rotor that covered the entire inside of the distributor.... It also had the variable venturi carb with the plastic metering rods in it..... which was another fun item........
Thanks man, you’re right. I looked into it more and it’s using the 1979-1987 harness. I guess they used some old stock in 1988.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My black T04Z turbo truck is moving along well, if that doesn’t blow up I should be on a good track to giving this dedicated attention by spring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online