1987 7.3 oil cooler

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did your headers have orings grooves in them? If so stop. It won't seal. Also the early orings won't work on the late setup. You got the only ford parts monkey that went by the early parts pic. Good luck. If you need the correct parts I have spares.

doctordiesel

Reaction score
Did your headers have orings grooves in them? If so stop. It won't seal. Also the early orings won't work on the late setup. You got the only ford parts monkey that went by the early parts pic. Good luck. If you need the correct parts I have spares.

There were no gooves in the headers I did measure everything and all looked like it would fit. the pressure test which I will do tomorrow will give me the ultimate answer .

doctordiesel

Reaction score
Oil cooler all tested on the bench and not leaking . Refitted to the engine and we have pressure tested the cooling system and it will not hold . Were do I go ?. I want to look at behind the water pump or in the rocker covers . which first ? I dont want to pull the heads in the truck . If it looks like needing the heads off I will junk the motor as its not cost effective to repair it in the UK my time will be better spent fitting a cummins engine and a 6 speed box which are cheap to buy in the UK .

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If pulling the heads isn't worth it, why not try the water pump next. I'm trying to think what's down low where three gallons would make it run out, other than maybe oil cooler or water pump. I doubt it would be up to the heads as that point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doctordiesel

Reaction score
If pulling the heads isn't worth it, why not try the water pump next. I'm trying to think what's down low where three gallons would make it run out, other than maybe oil cooler or water pump. I doubt it would be up to the heads as that point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your thinking water pump off next but not this week too many customers jobs to do

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Filled rad with water it will take 3 gallons then water starts to run out the oil pan bung

Confused here. Are you talking bout the block drain plug? If the water is running out of anything but the rad neck, something is not reinstalled.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mike what the original poster is saying is when he has about 3 gallons of water added to the cooling system he has water coming out the open oil pan drain hole. So something is wrong for that much water to pass thru into the oil pan. I have no idea what kind if any coolant was used before this happened but.. If no coolant was used my bet it the plate behind the water pump has a hole eaten thru it. Really not much more could pass that much water so quickly.

doctordiesel

Reaction score
Mike what the original poster is saying is when he has about 3 gallons of water added to the cooling system he has water coming out the open oil pan drain hole. So something is wrong for that much water to pass thru into the oil pan. I have no idea what kind if any coolant was used before this happened but.. If no coolant was used my bet it the plate behind the water pump has a hole eaten thru it. Really not much more could pass that much water so quickly.

Oh I do hope your right . I'v only had the truck 12 months I drained it when I got it and filled it with prestone to the correct mix. But I did mix it with plain tap water maybe is should have used distilled or de ionized not sure what you call it in the US

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not knowing what if any coolant was in the truck when you got it leaves many in the dark. Did you drain out antifreeze coolant or just rusty water? In the US we like using steam distilled water mixed in the coolant. It has no minerals in it nor does it conduct electricity. We can also buy deionized water or reverse osmosis water. I like using good old steam distilled water.

doctordiesel

Reaction score
Not knowing what if any coolant was in the truck when you got it leaves many in the dark. Did you drain out antifreeze coolant or just rusty water? In the US we like using steam distilled water mixed in the coolant. It has no minerals in it nor does it conduct electricity. We can also buy deionized water or reverse osmosis water. I like using good old steam distilled water.
What I drained out was clear and looked good I only changed it because I had no idea what was in there . I used prestone as it has a good reputation here , What we drained out the rad and block to do the cooler was clear , I also tested it to check if it may have frozen by putting some in my freezer it was still liquid at -22

Last edited:

doctordiesel

Reaction score
Water pump off. the plate behind it looks good . Got bored when I worked out you have to remove the injection pump to get it off. Cant shift the balance/crank pulley at the moment

doctordiesel

Reaction score
Because I hate posts that never run to a conclusion . Update engine out and stripped dirty great big hole in the block caused by the age old corrosion problem . Half way through Fummis conversion . zf shifter tower desperately needed

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I hate posts that never run to a conclusion . Update engine out and stripped dirty great big hole in the block caused by the age old corrosion problem . Half way through Fummis conversion . zf shifter tower desperately needed

Where is hole...this thread is useless without pics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online