1986 fan clutch

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have the real 6.9 7.3 fan clutch tool. Im working on a customers truck an cant seem to get alhold of somthing to keep the pully from spinning. It's an original 86 clutch with 116xxx documented miles an seems to be welded on not literally though. Tips please? Thanks for y'all's help Devon.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off do you have the two differant tools??? One connects to the nut. The other wrench connects horribily over the bolt heads that hold the pulley to the water pump. Its never been a good fit but it works. The spread of that wrench is about 4 or 5 inches. Hope this helps... Most any fake autoparts store will sel that tool.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have the ever tough kit. But seems extremely tight ive never had to use it before an it's not working now I am gonna soak it with pb blaster or some wd-40 whatever in garage an see what happens.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Snap on sells a holder for 7.3 powerstroke that will work with a bit of filing out of 2 of the holes or you can get a chunk of heavy angle and drill a couple holes to match 2 of the bolt holes in the pulley , then cut out a relief for the hub, so you can remove 2 pulley bolts and bolt it down and brace the other end of the piece against the frame on the passenger side, then you can lean on the fan nut or pound on the wrench to your hearts content and nothing will fly off, rotate the holder over to the drivers side frame to hold for tightening.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rdsl will pick one up from him on Monday in the mean time all keep going I need to deliver it in the morning. I just did a turbo cal 7.3 pump, injectors, water temp gauge, fan clutch, paint engine, gp's ,gp sil, egt gauge fix, intake, road draft tube, I think that's it. Im gonna paint it as well in a few months an put a electric fuel pump too. All post some pics if you guys wanna see it nothing specail all original paint an surface rust 86 camper shell an goin back same colors an only grandpa upgrades he says lol. He owned one years ago an had to sell it an found this one years later an lover it. He has every record an cost of fuel gallons put in fuel mileage an more 88ford gotta see the paper work an was amazed. Anyways i soaked it an gonna again soon an stop trying again. Thanks for the quick help this site is great.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say...is if the clutch is SHOT...heat is your friend...and a very wet towel on hand to cool things down quickly...heat the clutch nut up good n hot...then away you go!

Remember reverse thread too!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above.. This thread is a left hand thread. The torque requirement is something like 160 lbs. I always use a few drops of loctite blue so I can remove the clutch next time. But I sure don't want that heavy thing spinning loose when the engine suddenly shuts off like they do all the time... Any high compression engine will shut down suddenly when you shut off the key.. Or in our case the fuel... A map gas torch is hotter than a propane torch too.