10.25 rear hub and spindle

Cracker

Reaction score
The other day I came to a stop while running errands and noticed smoke coming from the l/r wheel. I have needed to do the axle seals for at least 9mo and have the parts but have been putting it off because I have been working on the road and after going 6/7 days a week, 12-15hr a day the last thing I have wanted to do is axle seal with a bottle jack and hand tools. I figured the brakes were bound up and the axle lube was burning so I park the truck and have been riding the bike to the job since Sunday.

Today I get off, jack the truck up and pull the wheels and drums and notice A LOT of play in the hub!! like 3/4" up/down and in/out on the left side and not quit as much on the right. I pull the left side hub bolts and remove the shaft and inside the hub it is bone dry with a 1/4" of ground up metal dust, also I notice lots of condensation on the axle shaft itself but no rust. It then takes 5 minutes to remove the ratchet nut with a liberal application of Blaster. When the nut comes out the ratchet is in several pieces and the inner piece is NOT coming out willingly. I do have a slide hammer but it is at the house 200mile from me (sound like a good excuse to go home for a day or two)

I have a real bad vibe about what I will find and am just planning on replacing the spindles and possibly the hubs. My thought was just getting the full bearing overhaul kit from Quad 4x4 but still need to come up with a pair of spindles and hubs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to score hubs/spindles without breaking the bank, what kind of price should I be looking at? I don't think I would be better off trying a local boneyard for the simple fact that I would have to take time off work and the income lost would probable outweigh the cost of have them dropped at my door.

TIA

(and yes, my sig line is very appropriate in this case)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, no can do on spindles....if they are toast you need a whole new to you rear diff, plain and simple.

Now one caveat to that is if you have the skills, time, tools, and materials I suppose one could cut off spindles press it out of a axle tube, cut out your/or machine out your spindles, then install replacement, then align them correctly, then weld them in place and redo the brakes and so forth from that point. Just sayin....SPINDLES are part of axle housing and would be a beach to replace.

In your case, 4 bolts on drive shaft, one brake line, four u bolts, and two shocks and two park brake cables and you've got your diff out and ready to install another.

JM2CW

Good luck and ya...that' sig line is very fitting.

Cracker

Reaction score
well friggen hell.

I don't know what would make me think the bolts that hold on the backing plate would hold a stub spindle on a 3/4t truck, duh huh. Yes we have the technology and the skill but it would be more cost effective to roll a complete axle from a boneyard under her(heck maybe I could get lucky and find one with a locker). I recon I will get the slide hammer and finish pull it apart and go from there planning on a worst case scenario.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are mobil guys that can fix damaged spindles on the truck. they mostly cater to 18 wheelers. id atleast call them and ask if they can do yours.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty saure you can find a whoile axle drum to drum for like 200 bucks at the boneyard. might be better to do that?
i got my 05 rear end, completel with calipers, great condition wheel and pinion bearings, factory LSD for 350, and have seen em about 100 cheaper but not by me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726