10.25 Pinion Nut Questions

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Ok, to start off I acquired a matched Dana 60 and 10.25 the issue that I have hit now is the yoke on the 10.25 can be wobbled slightly, but the pinion itself doesn't wobble, can this be fixed or am I going to need new gears?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a common problem with these rearends. Later on Ford extended the nose of the rearend to try to fix it. What happens is the splines wear a little bit that engage the yoke to the pinion shaft. As the splines work a little bit back and forth, they start loosening the nut. When it gets loose enough, you will start noticing a little driveline vibration and possibly a small oil leak around the pinion seal.

The one I worked on recently I pulled apart, and it seems like the yoke splines where worn a little bit more than the pinion shaft, and I believe a new yoke piece may have permanently repaired it, but the guy who owned the truck didn't want to spend the money, and just wanted me to tighten it back up. I put my impact on it's highest setting and tightened the nut back up, and it has been holding ok for awhile now.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The whole pinion nut backing off thing is the only reason that I checked it, just wondering what the repair bill will be on the damn thing before I put it in my truck.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Take a look at the pinion gear splines. I've put several yokes on them and never seen the pinion splines worn...they are very tough and generally the yoke takes the wear. You can probably get by with a new yoke if it is worn and I would use high strenght loctite (what I used on mine) and torque it to spec. It took a 3 or so foot cheater bar to get mine to spec! The guy that helped me with my gear change has a brute of a 1/2 impact and we ran it as tight as it would go and it wasn't even close! :backoff Of course under the truck it's a bear but we finally got it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you need is a new yoke and seal and maybe a crush sleeve, very easy fix , especially when not under the truck.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Ok, good thing it won't be to bad, If the 60 had 4.10s I would just keep my old 10.25 but gotta keep the gears matched.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my truck up on the lift I happened to grab the drive shaft and it moved - the rear yolk was loose. I just put my brother's Snap-On impact to it with 160psi of air and let her have it. It's still tight to this day - no issues.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
All you need is a new yoke and seal and maybe a crush sleeve, very easy fix , especially when not under the truck.

X2 I put on a new yoke and some bearing mount on the splines , adjusted the preload ,with new crush sleeve & nut. Problem solved over 60,000 miles on it now.