1/4 tank problem, another solution write up

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm on mobile so forgive me.

I always thought I had the 1/4 tank sock pickup issue, but when I filled my tanks it'd be way over full.

Then yesterday the truck just died Upon start up, knowing that I had no leaks or air intrusion, I noticed my lift pump was sucking on my finger instead of blowing, Giggity I know. So I threw it on, no start.

So I check my selector valve, its not allowing fuel flow, and both my tanks read the same after driving all week.

On a 87 and ip your sending units will read 16-160 Ohms.

In the pig tail on the selector valve u have 6 wires and they are as follows
Brown-white stripe= switch power
Red= other switch power
Solid yellow- fuel gauge
Blue / yellow stripe - rear sending unit
Yellow / light blue stripe - front sending unit

If you jump either sending unit to solid yellow and your level reading differs from how it is when it is connected normally, that valve is bad.

Because of the valve design it can fail in such a way that fuel draws from both tanks at the same time or it can siphon back and forth with no notice of change. I never knew,

When I noticed my gauge not moving for rear tank in a weeks span, I fanagled with the dash switch, ie I flipped it back and forth repeatedly. This caused it to stick in the front tank only position which had been siphoning to rear, and now was bone dry.

I have a power probe and I applied power to the spades in the valve, trying to get thesolenoid to operate at no avail, although with a test light it showed my dash switch to be good.

If the valve still operates correctly but the tanks don't read right, you could possibly throw in a 3 way toggle switch in line to operate the guage flipping tank readings, but the valve will fail eventually.

Bad news, they have universal valves that involve you hacking the ends of the fuel lines off and cutting up the plug, that's 131 dollars at that rate you might as well by the dealer only part, I did but I get to use my companys discount (I'm a mechanic) it was to the public 356.90 I got it for 237.03

Pricey I know, you could possible go around this valve its up to you .

Now for my readings, one tank was 26.2 Ohms, while the other was 156 Ohms, but on the dash it read full on both.

Damn I thought I was getting really good fuel mileage, oh yea and if plan on doing the valve, get the Damn fuel line clips before removale,there brittle they break easy, not coming off only on install. While your trying to stick the full tNk line on.

I think that pretty much sums it up, ask away ill explain more if need to.

Anthony
Ps this phone pissed me off

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Ouch that is steep for a part, it is nice to have a stock setup for sure but if mine go out I will be replacing it with the two 3 way valves in my garage. I have heard of others drilling out the rivets and taking the valve apart to clean the junk out of them. That seems to be what usually does them in, then they replace the rivets with some machine screws.

Nice job!

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice troubleshooting write up. Great way to double check each tank sending unit and check for switch operation. Thanks!! ;Sweet

FWIW:
On my 85, the rear and front sending units are opposite from the later model trucks.
Dark Blue w/Yellow stripe - Front/Side tank
Yellow w/Light Blue stripe - Aft tank
Other than that, same/same.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad news, they have universal valves that involve you hacking the ends of the fuel lines off and cutting up the plug, that's 131 dollars at that rate you might as well by the dealer only part, I did but I get to use my companys discount (I'm a mechanic) it was to the public 356.90 I got it for 237.03
Personally I would never pay that. Below is what I used to replace mine. It also fits my 90 truck, as far as I know it will replace any two tank selector valve.
Also if you suspect debris in the selector you can tear it apart and clean it out with little trouble. Just drill out the four rivets with care, use #8 sheet metal screws to assemble.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...iwqk7Z8ve9x?itemIdentifier=18894_334728_5320_

You also need this connector/
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...=fuel+tank+selector+harness&fromString=search

Attachments

• DVC01510.JPG
    DVC01510.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DVC01512.JPG
    DVC01512.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DVC01513.JPG
    DVC01513.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 28
  • DVC01514.JPG
    DVC01514.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 28

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have the autozone part here on my desk, but it was 4 days out for the pig tail, my shop only had a 4way terminal plug so I could build it to match the harness, if stock worked for 21 yrs why not just go back.

It was my decisio

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have the autozone part here on my desk, but it was 4 days out for the pig tail, my shop only had a 4way terminal plug so I could build it to match the harness, if stock worked for 21 yrs why not just go back.

It was my decisioN really.
I used my discount so it wasn't bad, i plan on taking valve to the shop and drilling it out to look at it.

Unfortunately I over slept before I could go get the clips for the fuel lines

I actually thought about 2 3 way manifolds, the 3 vents and the 3 sources and just having a equal draw

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice troubleshooting write up. Great way to double check each tank sending unit and check for switch operation. Thanks!! ;Sweet

FWIW:
On my 85, the rear and front sending units are opposite from the later model trucks.
Dark Blue w/Yellow stripe - Front/Side tank
Yellow w/Light Blue stripe - Aft tank
Other than that, same/same.
I may have got the tanl wires backwards, I was writing off the top of my head

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if they changed the schematic when they changed models. "New and improved", ya know.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online