$1.00 Hydroboost On Ebay...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I found this in the brake mastercylinder section. Item number 270146017792. It has about 6 days left and 1 bid of $1.00 with no reserve....

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boost is more powerful plus the power steering pump is generally more reliable than the vacuum pump.

Downside is that if you are trying to turn and stop at the same time (parking lots etc) neither is at full power. My International has a real big steering wheel (and a very slow steering ratio) so I tend to not notice, but it was a real problem on the F-450's I used to operate.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is several ways of swaping over. The cheapest way is to get (buy or steal) a power steering pump resivour with 2 return lines to it. You don't need to replace the entire pump, just the plastic resivour. Then replace the vacuum booster with the hydroboost one. Buy new or otherwise supply and return line hoses. Thats about it. The other way is replace the power steering pump AFTER you remove that v-belt pulley or serpintine pulley. Now everybody knows that can be a real job if you don't have the proper puller. When its all done now you have superiour brakes and the vacuum now is for the cruise control or the air vent doors. Do more loosing a alternator belt and finding out too late that you don't have power brakes anymore...:eek: Been there... Have the pants in a bunch to show too....:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have the pants in a bunch to show too....

Hope you washed em...EEEEWWWWWW

FordGuy100

Reaction score
There is several ways of swaping over. The cheapest way is to get (buy or steal) a power steering pump resivour with 2 return lines to it. You don't need to replace the entire pump, just the plastic resivour. Then replace the vacuum booster with the hydroboost one. Buy new or otherwise supply and return line hoses. Thats about it. The other way is replace the power steering pump AFTER you remove that v-belt pulley or serpintine pulley. Now everybody knows that can be a real job if you don't have the proper puller. When its all done now you have superiour brakes and the vacuum now is for the cruise control or the air vent doors. Do more loosing a alternator belt and finding out too late that you don't have power brakes anymore...:eek: Been there... Have the pants in a bunch to show too....:D

Doesnt sound all that hard, I'll have to add that to my list of things to do LOL .

I'll be, I should have looked there first cookoo .

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Anybody?

Anybody here bidding on this....I might go for it.
This one work on my '90 F350?

Whoops...I see pafixitman going for it.....I'll stay out.
Besides that, I still want to get time to see how close that Cheby hydro complete setup I scavenged a few weeks ago is to a Ford.
I got another one on my '85 Chevy 1 ton that I about decided to scrap out & salvage goodies off of.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do more loosing a alternator belt and finding out too late that you don't have power brakes anymore...:eek: Been there... Have the pants in a bunch to show too....:D

Is there not an electric backup pump on those hydroboost units, or is that a seperate part? I used to work on a bunch of school busses with the hydroboost system and they had a redundant system with a little electric motor, if the engine stalled or the belt broke when the pressure dropped below a certain point the electric backup pump kicked in . The pedal would get a bit harder and a buzzer would trigger, but they would stop no problem.

Is that type of backup available? heck I was at a heavy truck boneyard the last two days fetching some suspension seats and other goodies for my f350, I should have dug around their collection of busses.

-----Robert

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Is there not an electric backup pump on those hydroboost units,

Is that type of backup available?

-----Robert

the ones for the 1 ton and 3/4 tons have a hydrolic accumulator basiclly stores hydrolic energy good for about 7 brk applications thats that round cylendar looking thing that sticks out

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the F600 had an electric back up power steering pump.

I have also noticed that at times, the power steering is less when idling, braking and turning. On my truck this usually occurs when starting to move, not stopping, ie foot on the brake, drop in gear and as soon as the truck starts to move, begin turning.

Reading the Ford shop manual, when the brakes are applied, there is a valve that ensure the brakes get enough pressure. My guess is this is why the supply hose from the pump goes to the brakes first and then to the steering gear. So my next assumption is if the ps pump is getting a little weak at an idle, there maybe inadequate flow/pressure to the steering box. This summer, I hope to install a newer pump or an upgraded pump and see if this makes a difference. In the end, the brakes are enough better and more reliable, that I can live with the other problem.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all of y'all running hydroboost - the brakes do indeed take priority in the system, when there's insufficient line pressure coming off the pump the steering power assist will be reduced. It's a known issue in the Chevy world, sometimes as bad as to lose darn near all power steering if you try cranking the wheel fast at the same time as stepping on the brakes hard (as you sometimes have to do to avoid a parking lot accident). Two ways around that - smaller PS pump pulley, and/or a pressure check-valve modification. The valve thing is available for Saginaw pumps, and apparently now there are brackets available for mounting a Saginaw pump to a small-block ford gas engine - if the brackets for the 302/351W are the same as those for our diesels, this conversion bracket can be used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online